What are my chances for getting into pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoonyLuna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All,

Just wondering if you guys could please give me some input. I took the August PCAT and scored a 73, I took it again in October and scored lower. My reading, math, and biology scores were all above 80, but my verbal and chemistry scores were pretty bad (in the 40 range). I got a 3/3 on my writing sections. My cumulative GPA is a 3.25. I'll be completing a biology degree this spring and I'm involved in four extracurriculars (three of which I'm on the executive board) and the last one being volunteer work in a hospital pharmacy. As far as recommendation letters go, I'll be getting one from a science professor, another from the pharmacist that I work with, and the last one from a volunteer coordinator that I've known for a good year.

What do you guys think are my chances for getting in? I'm afraid schools will wonder why the heck I'm applying to pharmacy school when chemistry seems to be a weakpoint for me (not so stellar chemistry grades and chem-subject score on the PCAT).

p.s. can you guys see my email? I'd love to give more specific information, but I'm afraid some of the people that go to my school might be able to figure out who I am. Let me know, thanks :)

Any sort of input would be much appreciated!

just apply, ur gpa is not bad, good curriculars and experience. pcat is iffy. thats where the problem lies, depends where ur applying bc some schools have avg in the 80's and some even in the 60's. if i assume u apply to 10 schools i would say u would get 2 to 3 interviews. gluck

thanks for getting back to me. I've already applied (sent in my pharmCAS early November) to six schools. What schools accept 60's? Please let me know :)

Members don't see this ad :)
just apply, ur gpa is not bad, good curriculars and experience. pcat is iffy. thats where the problem lies, depends where ur applying bc some schools have avg in the 80's and some even in the 60's. if i assume u apply to 10 schools i would say u would get 2 to 3 interviews. gluck
thanks for getting back to me. I've already applied (sent in my pharmCAS early November) to six schools. What schools accept 60's? Please let me know :)

You can try looking for averages on PharmCAS or each school's website should give some info on previous entering classes. Be aware that some schools may also have a 50 (or some other min) in each subsection. Just look at this before you submit any more applications.

Hi,
I heard that University of New Mexico request PCAT at 30 minimum.

Hey guys, thanks for the resources. Tthough, i was more so wondering if you guys have heard of "easy-to-get-into" pharmacy schools (by word of mouth/with this SDN).

Let me know :)

Thanks!

there are schools that don't even want the PCAT. look at them.

Hey guys, thanks for the resources. Tthough, i was more so wondering if you guys have heard of "easy-to-get-into" pharmacy schools (by word of mouth/with this SDN).

Let me know :)

Thanks!

just remember the easiest way isnt always the best way. i mean do u personally and honestly think u r ready for pharmacy school bc u dont want to end up doing bad when u get there and not been able to handle the work. i think u should look at ur GPA, pcat scores whatever they are and decide plus take biochem and microbio, anatomy at upper level so u will know if u are ready. but ut pcat isnt too bad nor is ur gpa ur borderline i guess.

just remember the easiest way isnt always the best way. i mean do u personally and honestly think u r ready for pharmacy school bc u dont want to end up doing bad when u get there and not been able to handle the work. i think u should look at ur GPA, pcat scores whatever they are and decide plus take biochem and microbio, anatomy at upper level so u will know if u are ready. but ut pcat isnt too bad nor is ur gpa ur borderline i guess.
I think I should make something clear:

I've already sent in my PharmCAS and am waiting for the system to calculate my GPA. The only reason I made this thread was to see what you guys thought of my chances for getting in...as well as find out about any "easy" schools that I can add to my PharmCAS list.

I have already taken all of the "upper-level" classes that you've mentioned, doing fairly well in most of them except for Orgo (though i did not fail). And I've also taken a good 35+ credit hours of extra biology courses. So, I'd consider myself fairly well-rounded and "academically-mature" enough for pharmacy school.