redrose13

2+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I'm a recent graduate and I'm currently in the application stage. I'm now worrying about my chances of getting admitted now that the process is coming to an end especially since i applied to alot of schools :(

my top choices are Columbia, NYU, SUNY Downstate, TouroCOM-Harlem, basically any school in NY.

Stats:
3.86 cGPA
3.90 sGPA,
503 MCAT

ECs:
med/surge PCT
nursing unit volunteer, 2 wks in Ecuador aiding in a reforestation project, community service clubs
shadowed a DO
phi beta kappa and other honor societies
2 years of research experience
public health internships: 2 years of global health and a summer at the CDC

Any help/advice/opinions is appreciated!!

Attachments

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
You are a good DO candidate.
You have a very modest application for MD.
I cannot recommend an application to NYU or Columbia, both have 10th percentiles of 32.
Have you purchased the MSAR?
NY Med has a 10th percentile of 27 and Upstate is a 28.
Downstate has a 30 as a 10th percentile, so that is a reach...
I see two schools on your MD list where you have a fair chance of an interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: redrose13
OP
R

redrose13

2+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2016
Status
Thank you so much for your advice! I applied to NYU and Columbia as reach schools and i agree too that i have a slim chance of an interview. Just wondering what two schools were the ones you thought i had a fair chance of getting an interview?

OP
R

redrose13

2+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2016
Status
You are a good DO candidate.
You have a very modest application for MD.
I cannot recommend an application to NYU or Columbia, both have 10th percentiles of 32.
Have you purchased the MSAR?
NY Med has a 10th percentile of 27 and Upstate is a 28.
Downstate has a 30 as a 10th percentile, so that is a reach...
I see two schools on your MD list where you have a fair chance of an interview.
Thank you so much for your advice! I applied to NYU and Columbia as reach schools and i agree too that i have a slim chance of an interview. Just wondering what two schools were the ones you thought i had a fair chance of getting an interview?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
The two where your MCAT is close to the 10th percentile.
Is that your only MCAT?

Last edited by a moderator:

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
If you are a NY resident add SUNY Buffalo. Oakland Beaumont would also be worth adding. Add a few more DO schools such as LECOM, WVSOM, MU-COM and UP-KYCOM.

Jun 7, 2016
Hey Guys,
I am looking to apply to MD/DO programs starting next June 2017 and I was wondering what my chances are based on these stats.

cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: awaiting my score of this past Aug. 5th (expecting something low unfortunately- around 485-90)
ECs: EMT-b for 2 years, volunteer at a local ambulance corp for 3 years, 4 year DII college athlete and captain senior year, won a Biology research internship this past summer, strong letters of rec (7)

Any honest opinions welcomed.

**Also, I am going to consider retaking my MCAT again this coming January (or later) if need be. Hoping to raise it about 5 points or so at the very least.

Thanks!

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
Hey Guys,
I am looking to apply to MD/DO programs starting next June 2017 and I was wondering what my chances are based on these stats.

cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: awaiting my score of this past Aug. 5th (expecting something low unfortunately- around 485-90)
ECs: EMT-b for 2 years, volunteer at a local ambulance corp for 3 years, 4 year DII college athlete and captain senior year, won a Biology research internship this past summer, strong letters of rec (7)

Any honest opinions welcomed.

**Also, I am going to consider retaking my MCAT again this coming January (or later) if need be. Hoping to raise it about 5 points or so at the very least.

Thanks!
Start your own thread. It will be less confusing for you and OP. Let us know when you get your MCAT. If your guesstimate of between 485-490 is accurate you will have No chance at any med school. Those numbers on the old test ~ 16-19. Hopefully you did a lot better.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app