This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
h

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Applying through FAP has to do with your economic status, not your race/ethnicity.

You need to break down your hours volunteering with children with chronic illness (please specify) versus administrative as a leader; then you can count it perhaps as community service depending on what you did. Tutoring and teaching tends to be overrepresented in applications, even though you have mentored for underserved children (how many, what did it involve, how much training did you get before hand?).

If you are interested in rural health, specify what activities you did to give you an informed insight of the challenges of rural health or primary care? In other words, why did you check those boxes when it does not appear you have a lot of experience informing you about it... and you indicated specialties of interest that include anesthesiology and ophthalmology? Why not become an optometrist?

I'd just like to gauge my general chance of getting in and what types of schools I should aim for. I appreciate your attention to detail but I did this more so just to get a general idea of where I stand.
@Mr.Smile12 asked those questions because we need those answers before we can give you a realistic answer to your questions. Your GPA is good, your MCAT is about average. That’s about all we can tell you. Good luck as you move forward.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd just like to gauge my general chance of getting in and what types of schools I should aim for. I appreciate your attention to detail but I did this more so just to get a general idea of where I stand.
Where you stand depends on how you answer the questions we raise based on what you provided. If you are serious about your application, you need to be able to answer all these questions clearly, including the question why not optometry if you said you are interested in rural health and primary care.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Tulane
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
California University
Kaiser
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Davis

Reactions: 1 user
Interest in rural health care and ophthalmology almost seems like non sequitur. Assuming you would do a fellowship, how many neuro-ophthalmologists do you think Dothan Alabama could support? I bet the closest one would be in Tallahassee.

“Why not optometry”? Money is far <<< than ophthalmology subspeciality. But I guess you can’t say that to an interviewer in 2021. Not PC. But I think folks, IF they have the choice, opt for opthal over optom. Unvarnished but true.

Last edited by a moderator: