MD What are my chances for MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Morgadeshou

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a great upward trend but the 3.3 still puts you a little bit below borderline for MD schools. The mcat is OK doesn't really compensate for your gpa (sorry If I sound harsh but this is just a reality check and admissions are EXTREMELY competitive). Also what is your science gpa? And If I were you I would try to get in some non-clinical volunteer hours as well.

It seems like an SMP is your best bet provided you excel in it. Good luck!

yeah its fine be as harsh as you want. I'm just trying to get things straight so your advice helps. I was just hoping the penn post bacc would be good enough, but I'm also considering applying for an SMP, it just cost a lot

Members don't see this ad :)
Think you should aim for high-end DO programs as your core target. Apply to your state MD schools and some of the low stats private MD schools as reaches. In-state MD schools may be your best shot. But the odds for MD are low in general for a 3.1 / 32 applicant.

Between now and when you submit AMCAS, just do your best to enhance your ECs. Probably better to commit further to the ones you are already in.

Last edited:
Luckily, the are schools that value revinvention, but I think the MCAT should have been a bit higher instead of just being average. The great upward trend is always helpful.

Try BU, Drexel, NYMC, Albany, Tulane, Tufts, and naturally, all of your state schools. I'm including PCOM and LECOM in that list, despite my distaste for the latters dress codes and mandatory class attendence policies. Also try all of the new MD schools as well.

IF you get shut out in the next app cycle, try all DO programs. Mine will take you!

I switched careers to medicine my junior year of college, before this I didn't really care about school and didn't really know how to study which crippled my UG GPA to a 3.1 (a 3.3 adding in post bacc). My senior year GPA is very good though, 3.85. Currently i'm in the specialized science post bacc at upenn and have a 4.0 in that.

My other stats: I have a 32 MCAT. Ive done 2 summers worth of research, a clinical premed program 1 summer (200+ clinical hours). 250 ER volunteer hours. 40 shadowing hours of a DO and MD, and have had several leadership positions through college.

TLDR 3.1 UG (3.3 UG+post bacc) 4.0 post bacc 32 MCAT 200+ clinical 250 volunteer, 40 shadowing, 2 summers research.

I'm trying my best to get into an MD program, do I have a chance with the 4.0 post bacc? or do I need to take an SMP year. I'm considering DO as a last resort, but I'm willing to wait an extra year for MD. Thanks for your advice

I'm thinking about retaking the MCAT too this year while I still have a chance, considering the big change next year. I was getting 34s on my practice tests before but I think nerves screwed me up.

but yeah! thanks for the advice, its definitely helpful