What are my chances for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nrk2a

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good excuse, but still need to prove your ability to get good grades (ie. a postbacc) before you apply if you want a decent chance.

Yeah, I sympathize with you, and I think an adcom might as well... while your grades when you were on chemo don't prove you're not smart enough for med school, your lack of ANY meaningful grade from that time period doesn't show you ARE smart enough. Take some post-bacc classes and show this, and then I think you'll have a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
i got into medical school because i ate meat for a living. why would that help?

Last edited:
going to med school just bc you had leukemia is not a good enough reason to become a doctor...

boom...
If you actually read his post you would see that leukemia was not the motivating factor to go to medical school. Rather, it was a hindrance that hurt his GPA

boom.....

Last edited by a moderator:
going to med school just bc you had leukemia is not a good enough reason to become a doctor...

boom...

way to be an a#s. Maybe try reading what they say before posting.
Spurs is right. I personally know two people who have gotten acceptances with either right at 3.0 or just below 3.0 GPA, but their final 3 or 4 semesters they got 3.5+ GPA. Show them that you had a detour, which you have a good reason for, and that you can do hard work and succeed at it, and I guarantee they wont hold your early bad grades against you. It also wouldnt hurt to rock the MCAT, but that goes for everybody ;). Good luck

boom...

Hey, way to advertise that you have ZERO clinical experience!

I am in my senior year and have a 2.75 GPA. Even before the illness I wanted to go to med school, but do I have a chance at all now?

You do have a chance to become a doctor. The question is, are you willing to put the necessary time into the redemption process? Here are some potential scenarios:

Path A-to MD (allopathic) medical school: Assuming you've completed 3/4 of the required credit to graduate, or 90 hours out of a needed 120, to earn the current GPA of 2.75: Get straight As for 30 hours this academic year and you GPA will be 3.06. Finish another 30 hours at 4.0 and the GPA is 3.25. Finish a sixth year of 30 hours at 4.0 and your GPA is 3.375. Get an MCAT of 33-34. Accumulate plenty of hours of clinical experience, leadership, shadowing, and a year of research in the meantime. You will have a chance at an MD acceptance. You could do this faster taking more hours and going to summer school, but it's best to take classes at a pace where you are sure to get As, or you delay the redemption.

Path B-to DO (osteopathic) medical school: retake all undergrad classes where you got a C or worse. Retaken grades will replace original grades on your application transcript (rather than average them, as MD schools do), thus resulting in a much more rapid resuscitation of your GPA. You would need to complete 1.5 years of classes with excellent grades to prove you are capable of sustained academic excellence. If these include lots of upper-science classes, that is better. Complete the same extracurriculars as mentioned above. Get an MCAT of 25-27.

LOL calm down ppl, i was reading various posts at the time and must've got mixed up. we all misread things at times. MY DEEPEST APOLOGIES

I think you definitely have a chance, given your circumstances. Work hard to bring your grades up and address your situation in your application. Medical schools will admire your tenacity and drive. I had a friend with a similar issue (an autoimmune disease that nearly killed him), and he got accepted to several schools!

LOL calm down ppl, i was reading various posts at the time and must've got mixed up. we all misread things at times. MY DEEPEST APOLOGIES

And that is a lame excuse...you were reading two posts about leukemia at the same time? Stop judging people you know nothing about. Let's try to be sensitive to how others feel.

Whatever kid....anyone who goes around telling people what are "good" enough reasons to want to go to medical school is a D-Bag in my opinion. Never mind that the OP was asking for legit advice about overcoming a weak GPA and not what you thought about his motivations or anything else for that matter.

But you're right. You must have just misread his post...that would definetly clear up your comment.

Why dont you make a "What are my chances" thread of your own, and I'll stop by to let you know what I think about your joke of an application.

thank you for that response. i hate to see people unnecessarily attacking others on the forum.

my profile is so awesome, what are you talking about???????????????????????????????

Last edited:
oh yah, everyone, lets be nice to each other!:D:D:D:D

Last edited: