• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

What are my chances for MD?

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Verified Expert
  • Sep 30, 2008
    1. Attending Physician
      Yeah, I sympathize with you, and I think an adcom might as well... while your grades when you were on chemo don't prove you're not smart enough for med school, your lack of ANY meaningful grade from that time period doesn't show you ARE smart enough. Take some post-bacc classes and show this, and then I think you'll have a shot.

About the Ads

hoopstar2323

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Oct 12, 2008
      Norman, Oklahoma
      1. Pre-Medical
        going to med school just bc you had leukemia is not a good enough reason to become a doctor...

boom...

way to be an a#s. Maybe try reading what they say before posting.
        Spurs is right. I personally know two people who have gotten acceptances with either right at 3.0 or just below 3.0 GPA, but their final 3 or 4 semesters they got 3.5+ GPA. Show them that you had a detour, which you have a good reason for, and that you can do hard work and succeed at it, and I guarantee they wont hold your early bad grades against you. It also wouldnt hurt to rock the MCAT, but that goes for everybody ;). Good luck

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
        Apr 4, 2007
          I am in my senior year and have a 2.75 GPA. Even before the illness I wanted to go to med school, but do I have a chance at all now?

You do have a chance to become a doctor. The question is, are you willing to put the necessary time into the redemption process? Here are some potential scenarios:

Path A-to MD (allopathic) medical school: Assuming you've completed 3/4 of the required credit to graduate, or 90 hours out of a needed 120, to earn the current GPA of 2.75: Get straight As for 30 hours this academic year and you GPA will be 3.06. Finish another 30 hours at 4.0 and the GPA is 3.25. Finish a sixth year of 30 hours at 4.0 and your GPA is 3.375. Get an MCAT of 33-34. Accumulate plenty of hours of clinical experience, leadership, shadowing, and a year of research in the meantime. You will have a chance at an MD acceptance. You could do this faster taking more hours and going to summer school, but it's best to take classes at a pace where you are sure to get As, or you delay the redemption.

Path B-to DO (osteopathic) medical school: retake all undergrad classes where you got a C or worse. Retaken grades will replace original grades on your application transcript (rather than average them, as MD schools do), thus resulting in a much more rapid resuscitation of your GPA. You would need to complete 1.5 years of classes with excellent grades to prove you are capable of sustained academic excellence. If these include lots of upper-science classes, that is better. Complete the same extracurriculars as mentioned above. Get an MCAT of 25-27.

bballluvr34

10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Aug 24, 2007
          1. Pre-Medical
            I think you definitely have a chance, given your circumstances. Work hard to bring your grades up and address your situation in your application. Medical schools will admire your tenacity and drive. I had a friend with a similar issue (an autoimmune disease that nearly killed him), and he got accepted to several schools!

bballluvr34

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Aug 24, 2007
            1. Pre-Medical
              LOL calm down ppl, i was reading various posts at the time and must've got mixed up. we all misread things at times. MY DEEPEST APOLOGIES

And that is a lame excuse...you were reading two posts about leukemia at the same time? Stop judging people you know nothing about. Let's try to be sensitive to how others feel.

HiFi09

10+ Year Member
              Oct 16, 2007
              1. Pre-Medical
                LOL calm down ppl, i was reading various posts at the time and must've got mixed up. we all misread things at times. MY DEEPEST APOLOGIES

Whatever kid....anyone who goes around telling people what are "good" enough reasons to want to go to medical school is a D-Bag in my opinion. Never mind that the OP was asking for legit advice about overcoming a weak GPA and not what you thought about his motivations or anything else for that matter.

But you're right. You must have just misread his post...that would definetly clear up your comment.

Why dont you make a "What are my chances" thread of your own, and I'll stop by to let you know what I think about your joke of an application.

About the Ads
                This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.