What are my chances for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted976130

Hi I'm new to SDN and could really use advice on what to do. I'm currently a senior and have a sgpa=3.53 and cgpa=3.7. However, these gpas include the community college courses I have taken while I have been enrolled at a unversity as well as my grades from university. All of my community college classes transfer to the university.

I started out at a 4 year university and did well in the science courses such as intro bios, gen chem, pchem. Then transfered to a bigger university and had some health issues and family issues and got a D in orgo 1, retook it got a C+, moved on to orgo 2 and got a C+ at this university sprinkled in with 2 B+s in a physics and astronomy class. As time moved on, I would be needing to take my family members to the hospital and urgent cares and I just knew that I could not take all the classes at the university and care for my family as well as my own health. Not wanting to take long breaks in periods of school, I decided to take courses at the community college that is near the hospital area where I would take my family. There I took classes such as sociology, a humanities class, and other science classes such as anatomy/physiology, retook orgo 1 and 2, microbiology, physics 1 and 2 and a couple other bio classes and have gotten all A's thankfully. I was also enrolled in my psychology major classes at my home university some semsters more than others when I knew if a family member was having surgery and then physical therapy after. I understand that I'll have to explain myself because I was enrolled at both university and community college at the same time but with all this information I am wondering what my chances are and what MD and DO schools I should possibly apply to?

I have also taken 1)(upper level) 300 bio class = A at first university (2)and upper level Biochemistry=A at another university as a guest student at a university closer to home for medical purposes.

I'm planning to apply this upcoming cycle and have looked at MSAR to see what medical schools accept community college credits but I don't know what schools are best for me to apply to because even though a school may accept community college credit I don't know what to believe.

I understand I'll have to do a better job of explaining in the application without making excuses and will try to discuss how these experiences have taught me valuable life lessons such as being responsible for the well being of others, and so forth. (Sorry to drag this post on!)

MCAT=510
LOR= From science professors and should get one from a DO physicial
Upward trend in GPA since orgo mishap
Lots of Volunteering
Some research
Good EC
MI resident, Have ties to TN lived there for 10+ years before moving to MI with family

I realize medical school is extremely difficult to get into and any sincere advice and wisdom would be greatly appreciated! Please don't troll me :)

Please let me know! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should receive some interviews with your stats. I suggest all these schools:
Central Michigan
Michigan State
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Toledo
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNTHSC (new school)
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD

Thank you! Do you know if these schools listed above or any MD schools that do not mind community college credits so that my chances are not as hindered? Also, what about DO schools, like LMU and others? @Faha

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Do you know if these schools listed above or any MD schools that do not mind community college credits so that my chances are not as hindered? Also, what about DO schools, like LMU and others? @Faha
You will need to check with each individual school to see if they accept community college credits. It is a good idea to apply to at least 6 DO schools also and include MSUCOM .

Hi I'm new to SDN and could really use advice on what to do. I'm currently a senior and have a sgpa=3.53 and cgpa=3.7. However, these gpas include the community college courses I have taken while I have been enrolled at a unversity as well as my grades from university. All of my community college classes transfer to the university.

I started out at a 4 year university and did well in the science courses such as intro bios, gen chem, pchem. Then transfered to a bigger university and had some health issues and family issues and got a D in orgo 1, retook it got a C+, moved on to orgo 2 and got a C+ at this university sprinkled in with 2 B+s in a physics and astronomy class. As time moved on, I would be needing to take my family members to the hospital and urgent cares and I just knew that I could not take all the classes at the university and care for my family as well as my own health. Not wanting to take long breaks in periods of school, I decided to take courses at the community college that is near the hospital area where I would take my family. There I took classes such as sociology, a humanities class, and other science classes such as anatomy/physiology, retook orgo 1 and 2, microbiology, physics 1 and 2 and a couple other bio classes and have gotten all A's thankfully. I was also enrolled in my psychology major classes at my home university some semsters more than others when I knew if a family member was having surgery and then physical therapy after. I understand that I'll have to explain myself because I was enrolled at both university and community college at the same time but with all this information I am wondering what my chances are and what MD and DO schools I should possibly apply to?

I have also taken 1)(upper level) 300 bio class = A at first university (2)and upper level Biochemistry=A at another university as a guest student at a university closer to home for medical purposes.

I'm planning to apply this upcoming cycle and have looked at MSAR to see what medical schools accept community college credits but I don't know what schools are best for me to apply to because even though a school may accept community college credit I don't know what to believe.

I understand I'll have to do a better job of explaining in the application without making excuses and will try to discuss how these experiences have taught me valuable life lessons such as being responsible for the well being of others, and so forth. (Sorry to drag this post on!)

MCAT=510
LOR= From science professors and should get one from a DO physicial
Upward trend in GPA since orgo mishap
Lots of Volunteering
Some research
Good EC
MI resident, Have ties to TN lived there for 10+ years before moving to MI with family

I realize medical school is extremely difficult to get into and any sincere advice and wisdom would be greatly appreciated! Please don't troll me :)

Please let me know! Thank you!
Agree with Faha's list, but add some DO schools

Thank you! @Goro do you know of any schools that do not mind for community college credits that much as long as I have university science credits as well?

I wouldn't consider LMU because of terrible rotations, and they're heavily focus on primary care. If you gonna apply to some DO schools as backups consider these one on your list:
KCUCOM
DMUCOM
MSUCOM
ATSU-KCOM
PCOM
LECOM
CUSOM
MUCOM
NYITCOM
ACOM

Thank you! @Goro do you know of any schools that do not mind for community college credits that much as long as I have university science credits as well?

Check individual school websites to see if CC credits are allowed in pre-reqs. If not listed, call and ask. Also go speak with the pre-med advisor at your school. Some interviewers absolutely will question the rigor of CC pre-reqs and your reasons for transferring. Fair questions, but sounds like you have a good answer.

Just apply to some DO schools as Goro said. You may or may not get into an MD school, but I think you will almost certainly get into a DO school if you can just avoid being a weirdo over a 30 minute interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for the advice @DrStephenStrange and @THEBACKANDFORTH! I'm planning to take a gap year and was wondering do you all think I should be doing a formal post bac or take some upper level sciences during that time because I have community college credits and got D, C+, and C+ in orgo at university, but A's in both orgos, and A's in anatomy/physiology, microbio, and physics at community college? I've taken the other pre-med prereqs at universities and gotten A's in 2 upper level science classes, A's in science classes, A minuses in science classes and one B+ in physics at universities. I'd like to go to a state MD school in MI, but am fine with DO school if possible, because it will be closer to my family, but I understand med school is so hard to get into so I wouldn't dare being picky about it.

I'm pretty confused about what to do in my gap year because I don't know if I will get accepted to an MD or DO school. Anything I should be doing to increase my chances of getting into an MD or DO school. Please let me know what you all think. Your advice is definitely appreciated, thank you!