1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

What are my chances for Osteopathic school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by NJHopeful, Aug 27, 1999.

1. NJHopeful

NJHopeful Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi!

I am 31 years old. I graduated in 1990 from the University of Vermont with a BA in Environmental Studies, minor in Philosophy. After graduation I worked for 3 years as a lobbyist in NY State on environmental and public health issues. I worked with the AMA and other health groups to pass the NY State Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention law.

My husband and I moved back to my hometown in NJ in 1995. I then worked for a high-technology medical imaging equipment company for two years, where I interacted with Drs and other health professionals giving presentations at professional meetings and conferences both in the US and overseas.

I would like to fulfill my dream of becoming a Dr. I would need a post-bac program. My GPA from college is only 3.2 overall (3.6 in my major). Will this hurt my chances significantly even if I do well in a post-bac and on the MCAT?

Also, I have a strong volunteer background in teaching English to disadvantaged immigrants with Literacy Volunteers of America. I am currently an email volunteer with Sidelines, an organization that supports women on
    bedrest due to high-risk pregnancies. I myself had a high-risk pregnancy and
    last November gave birth to identical twin girls. (My OB-GYN is a DO - she is fantastic!) I am especially interested in
    pediatrics and the special medical and emotional needs of multiples.

I am most interested in attending the Univ. of Medicine and Dentistry here in NJ. They have an MD as well as a DO program. What steps do you think I should take to increase my chances of being accepted when I apply?

Can you also address "shadowing" doctors to obtain clinical experience before applying to med school and when this is typically done. Are there better ways to obtain clinical experience?

Also, do you think I can succeed in med school and still be adequately involved with my family?

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,
    NJ Hopeful

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NJHopeful

NJHopeful Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Just a note - I posted the above to the Allopathic Board also - but wanted to have the Osteopathic community here review it also. Both Henry and Dr. Henderson recommended that I apply to DO schools too.
    -NJHopeful

4. 8404

8404 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

In my opinion you stand an excellent chance of acceptance.
    1. your age is perfect. my average class age is somewhere around mid to late twenties. i am 29. the most 'experienced' in my class is 53.
    2. you have a varied and INTERESTING volunteer wrapsheet with lots of goodies in it that i believe admissions folks like to see. although not set in stone, i see you have not listed any research experience, be it environment, science, etc...prob. 75% of my class has had some so that leads me to believe that it is a desirable trait, especially in jersey where research rules the pharm industry and school affiliations abound.
    3. if a postbac is the way for you to get back into the swing then go for it-just make sure you get good grades and try to have it help you do well on the dreaded MCAT.
    4. your gpa is within the limits imposed by most D.O. schools, I got in with a (3.2). However beware, it is my experience that the M.D. programs matriculate students with mostly considerably higher gpa's than yours or mine and one must be realistic when it comes to investing our time and money only to end up all for naught. The D.O. programs I interviewed at placed much more emphasis on who I was and what I had done rather than the M.D. schools that eliminated me simply because I didnt have the gpa to compete with the billion other applicants that had better numbers than me.
    5. most D.O. programs require a letter of recomd. from a D.O. to show you know that osteopathic medicine is what you want to do. I got mine from a nice gent who allowed me to "hang out" with him in the office and sit in on his seeing patients. It was a great experience, I did it multiple times, and he gave me a great letter to boot.
    so-go for it!

5. NJHopeful

NJHopeful Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks 8404!

Do you think that I could shadow an OB-GYN who is a DO even though I am more interested in family practice or pediatrics? Or should I find one in my area of interest?

-NJ Hopeful

6. 8404

8404 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

In my opinion, I dont think it will much matter who you shadow as long as they are receptive to having you around. That way they will write a nice letter for you. However, if you are interested in family practice then find a family practice D.O. and learn more about that aspect. When they ask you in the interview why you like f.p., you will have something to back up your response. good luck.

7. njdevil

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In all honesty, you have a shot at an osteopathic medical school but probably not UMDNJ-SOM. Your GPA is too low, they are really strict on numbers.

8. NJHopeful

NJHopeful Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

njdevil,
    Please explain why you feel my GPA is too low for UMDNJ-SOM. Are you currently attending UMDNJ-SOM? Do you know what their cutoff is in terms of GPA? Do you think if I do very well in my science pre-requisites and on the MCATs that it will help to make up the difference?

Thanks in advance!
    NJHopeful

9. njdevil

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was told that although my MCATs were above average, my GPA wouldn't cut it. A friend of Dean Wallace said it is a state school and numbers play a big role. Hey roll the dice and see, but honestly I don't think you have a good shot. I even knew a clinical faculty member.