Sep 14, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks in advance to everyone

Currently have a cGPA of 3.59, although strong upward trend (3.0 first semester and 3.80 every semester since). I have a 27 on my MCAT (6VR 9PS 12BS). Based on academics, do I have a shot at sackler and technion? Does anyone know of any good private (I'm Canadian) US MD schools that I'd have a shot at?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician

Currently have a cGPA of 3.59, although strong upward trend (3.0 first semester and 3.80 every semester since). I have a 27 on my MCAT (6VR 9PS 12BS). Based on academics, do I have a shot at sackler and technion? Does anyone know of any good private (I'm Canadian) US MD schools that I'd have a shot at?
You have a fair shot at the DO schools that consider internationals.
You are a long shot for MD, though.
The Israeli schools are not LCME so we don't have much info on their acceptees or matriculants.
Someone usually starts a school specific thread, though. You could look there.
Here's last year's Sackler thread: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2014-2015-sackler-school-of-medicine-new-york-state-program.1095246/

Last edited by a moderator:

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
Nov 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student

If your goal is to practice in the US, I would not go for any non LMCE accredited MD school. Shoot for DO imo

Reactions: Goro
OP
K
Sep 14, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
You have a fair shot at the DO schools that consider internationals.
You are a long shot for MD, though.
The Israeli schools are not LCME so we don't have much info on their acceptees or matriculants.
Someone usually starts a school specific thread, though. You could look there.
Here's last year's Sackler thread: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2014-2015-sackler-school-of-medicine-new-york-state-program.1095246/

Thanks for the help guys. Yea I know I'd be a longshot for MD programs within US/Canada which is why I'm looking for good international schools. I see that sackler isn't LMCE accredited but I do know (know several grads) that their grads tend to do well. I checked out the sackler thread from last year and it has been very helpful. Would you know where I could find a similar thread but for technion?

Also for DO schools, I'd have to do more research on it. I really don't know enough about them. Would DO schools be a better option compared to St. Georges in Grenada? What are some of the best ones that I'd have a shot at getting in to?

Thanks once again

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks for the help guys. Yea I know I'd be a longshot for MD programs within US/Canada which is why I'm looking for good international schools. I see that sackler isn't LMCE accredited but I do know (know several grads) that their grads tend to do well. I checked out the sackler thread from last year and it has been very helpful. Would you know where I could find a similar thread but for technion?

Also for DO schools, I'd have to do more research on it. I really don't know enough about them. Would DO schools be a better option compared to St. Georges in Grenada? What are some of the best ones that I'd have a shot at getting in to?

Thanks once again
The match rate for DO's in the US is >97%. We can assume that only a small proportion of these are international but given that Caribbean matriculants with a successful match are in the distinct minority, I recommend DO over Caribbean. Take a look at this discussion, for examples: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/yet-another-caribbean-danger-thread.1159978/

These DO schools have been open to internationals:

AZCOM
Campbell
Ccom
Kcumb
Lecom
Lmu
Mucom
Msucom
Pcom
Pcom ga
Nova
VCOM (all)
Rowan
Touro
Unecom
Tycom
Kycom
Western u
Wcu

alwaysbehappy

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Definitely apply to Sackler and technion. Also if you're interested in Israel apply to Ben Gurion. They are all American schools, but students are considered IMG. Good Luck!

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician