What are my chances for these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mazibs52

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Thank you for taking the time to read my post. My question is what are my chances at the following schools with these statistics;

Stats:
MCAT: 512
Major: Political Science: Overall GPA: 3.72
Science GPA 3.5
State of Residence: Wisconsin

I immigrated to the United States in 2002 as a refugee of war. My involvement and experience includes 1.5 years ER scribing, Big Brothers Big Sisters, several awards, low income clinic volunteer and Habitat for Humanity. I have done bench research for only 2 months due to funding and 2 years of policy research regarding the Affordable Healthcare Act.

Schools:
MD:
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin Madison
Utah
South Dakota
Indiana
Minnesota
Missouri - Kansas City
North Dakota
University of Illinois - Chicago
Nevada Reno
Commonwealth
Tennessee

Reach:
Stanford

DO:
Lake Erie
PCOM
Medical College of Chicago
North Texas
Kansas City
Iowa

If you guys could please let me know what schools you think I should drop and where I stand a chance, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you much!

Members don't see this ad.

Utah, North Dakota, South Dakota, Tennessee and Missouri accept few non residents with your stats. Consider adding schools such as:
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Georgetown
GW
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson

In my truly honest opinion, Stanford is a bit too high of a reach. You are about a handful of points on the MCAT below their average and it's a research powerhouse, which you seem to be somewhat lacking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MD list is extremely poor. A lot of those schools have very large in-state bias. Go through MSAR and find schools that fit your stats but also have a decent amount of OOS acceptes. As always, your best bet is your state schools.

Edit: you are good for any DO school and with a smart MD list you also have a good chance at an MD acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Gonna echo what the others have said, your MD list needs major work. Keep MCW and Wisconsin and move from there. You have wayy too many state schools on your list. Another poster was kind enough to post a few to get you started. But ABSOLUTELY GET THE MSAR.

Reactions: 1 user
Add Albany, U Miami to the list.

Utah, North Dakota, South Dakota, Tennessee and Missouri accept few non residents with your stats. Consider adding schools such as:
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Georgetown
GW
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson

I made the list by first using a matriculation vs application ratio. The reason I did not include many of the schools listed above is because the applicant pool was astronomical. I suppose the reason being as you guys mentioned, their openness to out of state applicants. Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I really appreciate all of your help!