DO What Are My Chances for This Cycle (c3.48/s3.18/25)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shammyguy3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats are in title. Worked the last year as a tech/scribe for 4 doctors, was able to interact with patients individually and interact with them while assisting in procedures with the doctors. Have 120 hours of pharm tech volunteer hours at a hospital, and 50+ hours at a church early in my undergrad years. I have only 1 science letter at the moment (second letter i had before i deferred applying last year, has not gotten back to me on resubmitting it (and I've emailed a handful of times, no cigar)), one non-science, and an MD letter from a doctor i've worked for the past year.

Here are the schools on my list right now. Anyone think i should remove some? (Currently working on a DO letter, not in grasp just yet; also, haven't taken biochem):

CCOM
MUCOM
DMU
KCU
LMU-DCOM
ATSU
CUSOM
ACOM
VCOM (all 3)
NSUCOM
OUHCOM
PCOM
PCOM -GA
RVU
WVSOM
KYCOM
WCUM

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro , this applicant somewhat mirrors me, so I am curious what your take is on his sGPA? I have heard that some schools ahve a cutoff at sGPA 3.25? I guess, in other words, do you view OP is slightly below average, average, etc.?

Good luck OP!!

Members don't see this ad :)
OP would be autorejected from KCUMB, for starters, and might have trouble given that the MCAT score is a 25. I think that if s/he applies to the schools on my list, s/he should get some love.

@Goro , this applicant somewhat mirrors me, so I am curious what your take is on his sGPA? I have heard that some schools ahve a cutoff at sGPA 3.25? I guess, in other words, do you view OP is slightly below average, average, etc.?

Good luck OP!!

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for the help! does not having taken Biochem in any way put me in a more difficult position for MUCOM, DMU, RVU, and WCUM??? Obviously, the more schools I apply the better my chances of getting in. I'd hate to waste money on applying for a school when I had no shot (i'd definitely take biochem prior to matriculation if i got into any of these schools)

thanks for the help! does not having taken Biochem in any way put me in a more difficult position for MUCOM, DMU, RVU, and WCUM??? Obviously, the more schools I apply the better my chances of getting in. I'd hate to waste money on applying for a school when I had no shot (i'd definitely take biochem prior to matriculation if i got into any of these schools)
Why not take biochem anyway? If you have the time for it, just take it. It's a difficult class which you'll need should you attemp a MCAT retake and serves as some light preparation for med school coursework.

If the schools have biochem as a requirement you're at a disadvantage. If they recommend it, it won't really matter. Having it would be a plus. Not having it would not be a negative.

I don't have the time for it, unless I quit my job. and if I do that, I have no source of income to pay for the class anyway, and no money for applications

What's your MCAT breakdown and home state?

it really isn't, but if I were to only get into 1 school and our required it id have to figure it out.

I didn't know that about Campbell, thanks. Ohio I knew, but it is in the midwest and I don't mind their 5 year req after graduation. How biased is PCOM-GA really?

Thanks for that link, definitely helped limit a couple of choices. My list now is

CCOM
MUCOM
DMU
LMU-DCOM
ATSU
ATSU-SOMA
ACOM
VCOM (all 3)
NSUCOM
LECOM
LECOM-Bradenton
WVSOM
KYCOM
WCUM

i know CCOM is a long-shot, but considering it's in-state spending the $35 primary and $60 secondary (IIRC) fee is fine by me for a shot in the dark. I know DMU is a bit of a reach as well, but it is in the mid-west.