What are my chances for this cycle? Downward trend, reapplicant, URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwaway5129

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please don't quote this post. I appreciate all responses, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably didn’t get bites before due to your old MCAT score.

Congratulations on the improvement. And for continuing to improve your whole app.

I’ll leave others to advise you on a list. But it’s mid-July so if you’re applying this cycle you better got your primary in to get in line for verification ASAP.

Probably didn’t get bites before due to your old MCAT score.

Congratulations on the improvement. And for continuing to improve your whole app.

I’ll leave others to advise you on a list. But it’s mid-July so if you’re applying this cycle you better got your primary in to get in line for verification ASAP.
Thank you.
I plan on submitting tomorrow or Sunday, depending on the results of this thread. I have everything written, and will use this weekend just to read all my writing again.

Explain having to care for your Dad and they may be very likely to forgive the low grades, especially since you've put up stellar performance the first three years of college. Much can be forgiven for AAs - affirmative action can be a powerful thing. Even without that, a 3.7/513 is no joke. Good luck.

You should explain in your secondaries the reason your grades were low during your senior year.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Oklahoma
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Tulane
Miami
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Einstein
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA-Drew
In view of your previous unsuccessful cycles it is important to apply this month to many schools and submit all your secondaries by August.

You should explain in your secondaries the reason your grades were low during your senior year.
Oklahoma
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
Tulane
Miami
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Einstein
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA-Drew
In view of your previous unsuccessful cycles it is important to apply this month to many schools and submit all your secondaries by August.

Thank you,! Do you think I have a chance at schools like Baylor or Mount Sinai? I haven’t previously applied there. Also, do I need to improve anything else on my app?

Last edited:
Thank you, do I have a chance at schools like Baylor or Mount Sinai? I haven’t previously applied there. Also, do I need to improve anything else on my app?

You'd have a better chance at Sinai. Many of the Texas schools stick with those from their own state. If you only had the 513 MCAT I'd say you would have had a good chance at Sinai but with the very low previous attempt it might be more of a reach, but throw in the app you never know - the rest of your app seems good.

Reactions: 1 user
Oklahoma
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
Tulane
Miami
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Einstein
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA-Drew
I agree 100% with the wise Faha. Add IU and U WV to the list, they're AA-friendly. AndI think that you should add a few higher class schools. Try the Manhattan Titans, Case, Emory and Keck. I commend you for being a good child, and in hindsight you should have withdrawn from school in order to preserve your GPA. But you should be able to explain as above in your secondaries, and I think that you're get some love.

Just be aware that med students need to be somewhat selfish, and you can't run home for every emergency.

Reactions: 1 user
I would apply to a few Top 20’s that Don’t have in-state preference. You have better stats than I did (3.6/507), and I was able to get ~12 interviews and a few full-scholarships aswell. Your EC’s are really great too, just learn how to talk about them(especially the most meaningful) and you will be more than fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree 100% with the wise Faha. Add IU and U WV to the list, they're AA-friendly. AndI think that you should add a few higher class schools. Try the Manhattan Titans, Case, Emory and Keck. I commend you for being a good child, and in hindsight you should have withdrawn from school in order to preserve your GPA. But you should be able to explain as above in your secondaries, and I think that you're get some love.

Just be aware that med students need to be somewhat selfish, and you can't run home for every emergency.
Thank you.

Last edited:
See how things shake out this year before considering the expense of a DIY postbacc; with a good explanation you may well get some MD love. Applying DO will mean that you've got an excellent chance of an acceptance this year, but I don't think it's strictly necessary.