What are my chances for this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michelle8484

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
So I'm applying this cycle and I submitted my application with all of the supplementals June 4th. My gpa is 3.94, I think science is either a 4.0 or 3.96 ( 1 A- in a science course). I have around 300 shadowing hours, my mom and step-mom are both dentists, I've held an e-board leadership position at my school's Pre-Dental Association for 2 years now (currently VP), am Vice President of Pre-Health Ambassadors, and have about 150 volunteer hours. My DAT is what worries me since I just took it yesterday and did not do as well as I hoped.
DAT:
AA 20
TS 21
OC 21
GC 22
Bio 20
QR 16 :( ran out of time so much
PAT 18.

For reference I'm a Florida resident.

Schools:
U Michigan
U Penn
Harvard
BU
Tufts
NYU
Columbia
UMKC (Missouri- Kansas City)
University of Illinois at Chicago
OHSU (Oregon health and science)
Nova
University of Pacific
UCSF
UCLA
VCU

Members don't see this ad.

are you URM?
what is your state of residence?

volunteering hours?
research?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you go to a large or small university? It comes off as a red flag to some schools when one has a near perfect GPA, and does average on the DAT. When you have a high GPA, it adds more pressure to do well on the DAT, as you should not have a 4.0 science GPA and score average across the board in the sciences on the test, sort of their filter for grade inflation at some universities.

Are your 300 hours of shadowing strictly from your mom and step-mom?

I would remove Harvard and Columbia from your list, I don't think you'd be very competitive at either of those schools and would be a waste of money in application fees. Michigan is nearly impossible to get an acceptance to OOS if you have no connections or affiliations with the state or school.

You have a lot of very expensive OOS and private schools on your list if you are at all concerned about debt. Any particular reason UF isn't on your list?

Reactions: 2 users
Since you are a FL resident, I would add UF and LECOM. You have a couple Boston schools. I would add UNE with your DAT (Portland is pretty cool). I know that UCLA and UCSF are public in CA so I don't know how competitive you will be. 75% of UCSF and 85% of UCLA's class is in-state. I might add some more OOS friendly public or "more affordable" private schools. I think you need to add a few more safety/ in range schools. It is good to throw your application at a dream school but you need to be realistic with the DAT score you have now or you might have to reapply and you probably don't want to do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Is this a joke? I literally had to go back and read it twice just to make sure why this person is freaking out so much? You’re good to go girl! You’ve nothing to worry about! Your stats are above average and your DAT is pretty decent too! 16 in one section is not bad! I’m sure the schools will see it and rake everything into account and not just base everything of off that ONE LITTLE section!

I mean I’ll retake the DAT if that’s my only issue, I rushed my DAT not to waste a year since I’m graduating in Fall. I started school at UF and left with a 3.95, transferred to FAU in Florida, have kept my GPA since. You guys are worrying me about the DAT but I mean they can’t expect people to always score as high on a standardized test as they do in real tests. I’m an awful test taker. I left UF so that’s why I’m not applying there. I have my shadowing from 5 offices, half from other offices the other half from my mom’s but I also worked at my mom’s office.

Is this a joke? I literally had to go back and read it twice just to make sure why this person is freaking out so much? You’re good to go girl! You’ve nothing to worry about! Your stats are above average and your DAT is pretty decent too! 16 in one section is not bad! I’m sure the schools will see it and rake everything into account and not just base everything of off that ONE LITTLE section!
thank you! everyone else is making me super nervous because I worked my ass off for my gpa but I mean I got a hard version of the DAT and I'm already not a good standardized test taker. I was scoring 20-21 on bootcamp which they said you were ready, and I heard normally you score higher but I just had some rough questions I couldn't help. It just sucks that it doesn't reflect my knowledge.

Reactions: 1 users
thank you! everyone else is making me super nervous because I worked my ass off for my gpa but I mean I got a hard version of the DAT and I'm already not a good standardized test taker. I was scoring 20-21 on bootcamp which they said you were ready, and I heard normally you score higher but I just had some rough questions I couldn't help. It just sucks that it doesn't reflect my knowledge.
I think you’re good girl! There’s a reason people say that SDN is toxic. Your stats look good to me! 3.9 is an ABOVE AVERAGE! I’m sure half of these people that are giving you advice here have lower stats then you.

I'm sure you'll get interviews and a spot somewhere! From what I've read on here, the ivies that you have listed, plus Pacific & UCLA will be difficult, but that doesn't mean you won't get a shot! However, I don't believe you'll be considered a URM.

Reactions: 1 user
So the thing we say on here is that a high GPA with an average DAT may look like grade inflation to dental schools. You may have worked your butt off to get a high GPA, but schools don't know just how hard it was to do well at your undergrad, since there are thousands. Thus, they use the DAT as an equalizer to see just how well someone knows their stuff. No one's trying to be mean or toxic, just realistic.

Also, religion isn't considered in admission decisions, and I don't believe being from Ukraine/Moldova makes you a minority (they're both European countries).

In regards to your school list and your DAT, I think you applied to too many competitive schools. Penn, Harvard, Columbia, UoP, UCLA, and UCSF would all be reaches because of your DAT. You should definitely add UF even if you left there, because that's the only school you'd get IS tuition at and debt is a real & scary thing.

Retaking your DAT would not be sensible for this application cycle, because the earliest you could would be at the end of September. I'd add more schools because it seems like you really do not want to take a gap year (hence you "rushed" into taking the DAT).

Reactions: 7 users
I agree with the above responses but I would also take out UIC as they are not very OOS friendly at all. Louisville is incredibly OOS friendly and I would also add UK. Definitely don't exclude UF or LECOM.

You asked for advice and constructive criticism on this forum and we gave it to you. No one here was being rude or putting you down, just giving you realistic advice the best we can.

Just because you transferred from UF doesn't mean you shouldn't apply there, it'll be harder to get in as they do love accepting their own students. But if you are funding your own dental school on loans, the debt will be massive and UF is your best bet, even though it is one of the pricier public schools.

I agree with the above responses but I would also take out UIC as they are not very OOS friendly at all. Louisville is incredibly OOS friendly and I would also add UK. Definitely don't exclude UF or LECOM.
Louisville is OOS friendly, but you're looking at $500k+ for the COA. Up to you if that's worth it

I'm Jewish and my family is from Ukraine and Moldova so yes
Apply to case western, they have a scholarship for Ukrainians. Definitely one of the reasons why I applied there lol

Ukrainian Student Assistance Fund Scholarship
Available to students in the Case School of Engineering, the College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Graduate Studies, and each of the professional schools, this scholarship stipulates that the applicant be a full-time student in good standing, demonstrate financial need, and normally must have at least one parent or grandparent who was born in the Ukraine. The student must be a US citizen or permanent resident and must be otherwise eligible for need-based financial assistance.