what are my chances for this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bishoy20

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a bio major who graduated on May 2012

Cum. GPA : 3.86
Sci. GPA : 3.85

Shadowing + volunteer : 500 hrs (Since Dec. 2010)

Took DAT last summer and got 17AA, 17TS, 16PAT

Retaking the DAT on Mid August

What schools should I apply too?

Thanks for responses

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Once you get 18AA + on the DAT you have a great chance at many schools! I'm not going to look up which schools you should apply to, that's what the ADEA dental school guide book is for.

Also you haven't provided any information such as where in the country you would prefer to live etc. Of course always apply to your state school and cheaper is typically better. My best advice would be to rock the DAT and apply to wherever you want.

:luck::luck:

What schools to apply to? What do you like?

Dental school is like pizza. There is no such thing as bad pizza. thin crust, thick, it comes with different toppings.

Some are research oriented, while others excel in clinical standards.

What are you looking for?

With a 20 (or 19+ in every section) you have a shot at most dental schools granted you have already applied & are simply sending dat later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
It's really hard to give you suggestions of schools to apply to without a DAT score. You have one, but you obviously need to do a retake. I think everything else looks good, though. You should aim for a 19 or 20+ across the board on the DAT. I believe that DAT score, paired with your high gpa, will allow for some good options. To give you an idea about where a 19 or 20 DAT and your gpa will put you, here are the averages for last cycle:

View attachment 2011 Ranking of DS-GPA-DAT-Other SDN .xls

Best of luck.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Agreed. Solid GPA, but your DAT needs to be brought up to at least a 19AA to have a shot at most schools since it's your second take.

highly suggest a retake.

It will be difficult for you to be competitive without it.

Retake. They're going to wonder how you obtained a degree in biology with a strong GPA but only a 17 TS on the DAT. You definitely have a chance this cycle and crazier things have definitely happened, but you will need to apply to a lot of schools which costs a lot of money with no guarantee of an acceptance, so it's a huge gamble.

Sorry, didn't see you said you were retaking. Just study hard like your life depends on it, because it does.

Hi, I am a bio major who graduated on May 2012

Cum. GPA : 3.86
Sci. GPA : 3.85

Shadowing + volunteer : 500 hrs (Since Dec. 2010)

Took DAT last summer and got 17AA, 17TS, 16PAT

Retaking the DAT on Mid August

What schools should I apply too?

Thanks for responses

You might get an interview with your current DAT because of your GPA but if you can bump your DAT up a couple of points then you are set.

Last year I asked many schools about a retake. Some said, "At least a 20 in every section to be competitive" others... "As long as you have nothing below a 16 you're fine." If you look at the chart there are always exceptions to these rules too. To help you better people need more information such as: gender/race/residency... Are you fluent in Spanish? Are you a traditional applicant? Do you care where you go to school at all? Good Luck to you.

Last year I asked many schools about a retake. Some said, "At least a 20 in every section to be competitive" others... "As long as you have nothing below a 16 you're fine." If you look at the chart there are always exceptions to these rules too. To help you better people need more information such as: gender/race/residency... Are you fluent in Spanish? Are you a traditional applicant? Do you care where you go to school at all? Good Luck to you.

I am a male. I am from Egypt, I live in Bayonne NJ. I don't have a specific school in mind; I am applying to 25 schools including my state school. I have been in the U.S. for eight years thus far.

I mean what are the schools that are famous for accepting students with low DAT, I thought Howard is one of them