What are my chances for UHCOM and UTRGV SOM EY2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1138554

Hey guys!

I wanted to know what my chances are of getting into UHCOM and UTRGV SOM.
1. I am a Texas resident
2. cGPA = 3.5, sGPA = 3.39, nsGPA= 3.71, MCAT = 493 (this is the most concerning, but I will be retaking it on 08/27/2022.)
3. Race= African American
4. Academic recognition = alpha chi honor society from Houston Baptist university
5. research activity - 60 hrs
6. volunteer - sunrise (960 hrs) Houston food bank (5 hrs)
7. Shadowing- gastroenterologist at MD Anderson (84 hrs)
8. virtual orthopedic and primary care scribe (5120 hrs)
9. virtual psychiatric and primary care scribe (2400 hrs)
10. Extracurricular - YouTube cover singer (112 hrs) and advisor on Spoon app (204 hrs)
11. I will receive a composite letter from my faculty at HBU and a letter of rec from the doc I shadowed.

All the schools I applied to include

A. The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
B. The University of Texas at Austin Dell Medical School
C. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine
D. Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
E. Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L Foster School of Medicine at El Paso
F. Sam Houston State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
G. UH COM
H. TCU and UNTHSC SOM
I. Tulane University SOM

Please don't be mean! IDK why I did so bad on my MCAT and a part of me just wants to give up and attend a Caribbean school due to fear of failing again. Anyways, thanks in advance for your feedback responses!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you can bring your MCAT up closer to 500 you have a chance.
If you are still scribing full time, could you ask to cut your hours to give yourself more time to study the MCAT between now and August?

If you can bring your MCAT up closer to 500 you have a chance.
If you are still scribing full time, could you ask to cut your hours to give yourself more time to study the MCAT between now and August?
Thank you so much for your response! My off days are Sundays and Mondays, and I was able to negotiate with my work to only work 3 hours on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and 8 hours on Thursdays-Saturdays. This allows me to study well from Sundays-Wenesdays!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your only weakness is your MCAT of 493, which is a major one. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have less than a 15% for a MD acceptance. If you increase your MCAT to 500 it goes up to 70%. So your main focus in the next 2 months should be to study extensively to improve your MCAT score. Post your new score here when available.

OP. What source are you using to study for the MCAT? Highly recommend Uworld for MCAT. Look into this. GL.

Reactions: 1 user
Your only weakness is your MCAT of 493, which is a major one. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have less than a 15% for a MD acceptance. If you increase your MCAT to 500 it goes up to 70%. So your main focus in the next 2 months should be to study extensively to improve your MCAT score. Post your new score here when available.
Thank you so much for your response and I will be sure to do that!

OP. What source are you using to study for the MCAT? Highly recommend Uworld for MCAT. Look into this. GL.
I did not use Uworld during my first try but that is now my main source of studying including released MCAT practice tests!

Reactions: 1 users