What are my chances (given MCAT) at the top 20?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thestrokes14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think that two summers of research experience will get you much consideration from top, research-giant-type schools. Clinical experience is sparse. The community service/leadership could be good, depending on duration of the activity. Don't take the MCAT too late in the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, you need more clinical experience....

35+ MCAT should cover it.

But, getting in at those places is so random.....just pick your favs and some good backups

I don't think that two summers of research experience will get you much consideration from top, research-giant-type schools. Clinical experience is sparse. The community service/leadership could be good, depending on duration of the activity. Don't take the MCAT too late in the summer.

Nothing to add to these posts...heed the advice.

It's way premature to be worrying about top 20 schools for you. Your MCAT score will determine where you will be likely to get in. If you get a 35+, then top 20s are open to you, but if you get a 29-32, you'll likely be struggling to get into your state schools. Your ECs are, honestly, average at best, although the publication does help. Volunteer abroad trips have become almost frowned upon. You also need way more clinical experience. Feel free to dream big, but study hard for your MCAT, because a 35+ is by no means assured.

Thanks for everyone's responses. I know that I need more clinical experience and I was planning on doing so this summer.

I will say that I am a bit surprised that my research experience doesn't stand out. I have done pretty extensive research in two difference laboratories (not just in the summers, I only listed the summers as significant events because they included the Amgen program and a publication). But it sounds like a good MCAT score would probably get me an interview or two in the top 20.

PS: I'm aiming for a top 20, but I am realisitic. And, I really appreciate the honesty about my clinical experience. Thanks! Any other advice/opinions?

But it sounds like a good MCAT score would probably get me an interview or two in the top 20.

PS: I'm aiming for a top 20, but I am realisitic. And, I really appreciate the honesty about my clinical experience. Thanks! Any other advice/opinions?

Yes, a 35+ MCAT will get you a shot at the top 20, but it also would get any applicant with half decent ECs and a 3.7+ GPA a shot... IF they could get the MCAT for it. Likely well over a third of applicants have GPA and ECs as good or better than yours. The kicker is the MCAT. A 35+ score is in the top few percentiles for scores. Heck, I had a better GPA and decent ECs. I got a 29 on my MCAT. I'm at my state school now. Of course, this doesn't mean you won't do great on the MCAT. It just means that you are by no means likely to get a 35+ on your MCAT.

Come talk to us again after you've at least taken some practice tests, and certainly after you have an MCAT score in hand. Speculation at this point is really worthless. We don't know if you'll be material for top 20s or struggling to get into your state school, and nothing currently in your resume can predict that for us.

Points well taken. I am planning on taking my first diagnostic test this weekend, which will hopefully give me some idea of how much working I need to do between now and then. I shall report back to you. Thanks!

To give you some hope, just remember that you can improve hugely over your diagnostic score, so if your diagnostic doesn't go well this weekend, it's not the end of the world. Also, based on the experiences of my friends and I, it is definitely possible to get into a top-20 with good numbers and only so-so research experience (believe me, you have way better research experience than I did going into the app cycle) as long as you have a compelling, cohesive story and can present yourself well at your interview.

It's way premature to be worrying about top 20 schools for you. Your MCAT score will determine where you will be likely to get in. If you get a 35+, then top 20s are open to you, but if you get a 29-32, you'll likely be struggling to get into your state schools. Your ECs are, honestly, average at best, although the publication does help. Volunteer abroad trips have become almost frowned upon. You also need way more clinical experience. Feel free to dream big, but study hard for your MCAT, because a 35+ is by no means assured.

Whaaaaa??? Do you mean volunteer abroad trips or studying abroad trips?

Last edited:
Whaaaaa??? Do you mean volunteer abroad trips or studying abroad trips. Check your facts.

Sorry for the momentary hijack, but I didn't appreciate the tone of the above post.

I mean volunteer abroad trips of less than 1 month duration. I interview applicants, and this is a relatively new trend. They're thought of more and more as "bought" experiences or vacations. Now they want you to do alternative spring breaks in communities here in the US. Study abroad experiences are still well thought of.

To give you some hope, just remember that you can improve hugely over your diagnostic score, so if your diagnostic doesn't go well this weekend, it's not the end of the world. Also, based on the experiences of my friends and I, it is definitely possible to get into a top-20 with good numbers and only so-so research experience (believe me, you have way better research experience than I did going into the app cycle) as long as you have a compelling, cohesive story and can present yourself well at your interview.

Definitely agree with this. If you do well on your diagnostic, that's great, but if you score poorly (I actually scored <20 on my diagnostic, granted I hadn't had physics or O. Chem yet when I did the diagnostic), don't worry about it at all.

Sorry for the momentary hijack, but I didn't appreciate the tone of the above post.

I mean volunteer abroad trips of less than 1 month duration. I interview applicants, and this is a relatively new trend. They're thought of more and more as "bought" experiences or vacations. Now they want you to do alternative spring breaks in communities here in the US. Study abroad experiences are still well thought of.

Okay, that I can agree with :)

I actually haven't gotten around to it (midterms this week...). I did take one physical sciences section and scored 39/52 (with a couple of dumb mistakes). I found it to be on the easier side, but I know verbal will be my most challenging score. I will report back once I take a full test in one sitting.

I actually haven't gotten around to it (midterms this week...). I did take one physical sciences section and scored 39/52 (with a couple of dumb mistakes). I found it to be on the easier side, but I know verbal will be my most challenging score. I will report back once I take a full test in one sitting.

that's about a 10....:thumbup:

That translates to about a 9 due to test-day jitters.

So do more well-er.