What are my chances going into a top 20 school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomatojuice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. I just need some advice about my situation. I just got my scores and got a (14P, 8V, 14B) 36O on the mcat. My bcpm is greater than 3.9 and overall is bout 3.85. My goal is to get into a top 15 or top 20 school. My verbal score is a bit low. So far, everyone I talked to told me not to retake it. The decision is killing me. I have all the typical shadowing, ec, and volunteer experience. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys. I just need some advice about my situation. I just got my scores and got a (14P, 8V, 14B) 36O on the mcat. My bcpm is greater than 3.9 and overall is bout 3.85. My goal is to get into a top 15 or top 20 school. My verbal score is a bit low. So far, everyone I talked to told me not to retake it. The decision is killing me. I have all the typical shadowing, ec, and volunteer experience. Thanks.

ouch, i would say your greatest weakness is being too typical.

you have great stats. although i think there are studies that suggest the Verbal score is the most indicative of students' success in med school and on the boards, i would not advise retaking a 36. it's risky (unless you're truly confident you can do better), cocky (unless you think it's risky), and a hassle. part of me wants you go for it, though, because that O is nothing to write home about either...but it's a friggen 36! move on to the next phase.

I would not retake, but be sure to have a fantastic PS and secondaries. The reason for this is that your MCAT score raises the possibility that verbal/communication skills are a weakness for you. A poor writing score in and of itself means absolutely nothing unless it is combined with a low VR score. Your 8 is not ridiculously low on a population scale, but at top-20 schools, it's going to stick out. So again, don't retake, but make sure that your written communication from here on out is stellar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like everyone else has said, I wouldn't retake the MCAT. I would focus on my ECs and make sure you can stand out. There is nothing worse than a boring applicant!

If you have stand-out extracurriculars (not the "typical"), the highly-selective schools are more likely to overlook that low verbal score. But be sure to apply to schools with a range of selectivity to enhance your chances of an acceptance somewhere.

Chances? I think that verbal will really hurt you at the Top 20 schools.

Your best defense is a spectacular PS. Same with supp essays. And even that may not make a difference...

"Typical ECs" is a really low standard for top schools - not helpful to you at all at the top schools.

Apply broadly to plenty of schools not in the Top 20 (or Top 40 for that matter)...