What are my chances? Great Stats with few red flags...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ezsanche

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to let you guys know I am a reapplicant I applied to all the FLA school and was rejected by all of them.

Here are my stats:

Race: Hispanic

Undergraduate University: University of South Florida

Major: 1. Microbiology 2. Chemistry

Minor: Biomedical Physics

Standardized Tests:

MCAT: 1. P=11 V=5 B= 11 V T= 27 (56.6%) (2008)
2. P =14 V= 9 B= 13 T= 36 (97.5%) (2009)

GRE: 1. Q= 800 V= 720 T= 1520 (98%) (2009)

GRE Chemistry: 860 (91%) (2009)

GPA: 3.95

EC:
1. USF Standardized Patient
2. Certified First Responder
3. Jenkins Scholars Peer Mentor
4. Health Central Hospital Auxiliary Volunteer -Orlando
5. Field Research in Puerto Rico at the Municipal Hospital of Cayey
6. Shadowed Physicians at Park Avenue Medical Associate - New York
7. Attended Weill Cornell Medical College Winter Program for Premeds
8. Online Tutor for Tutor.com ( Geometry, Chemistry, Algebra, Elementary Math)
9. Academic tutor for the University as well as for a Private Company
10. Honors Thesis Research at the USF College of Medicine
11. Poster Presenter for the SACNAS National Conference

Awards and Accolades:

1. Chemistry Department's Annual Honor Roll Student
2. National Dean's list member
3. USF Presidential Scholar
4. Florida Academic Scholar
5. USF Honors Scholar
6. SMART Scholars
7. Graduated Summa Cum Laude

Clubs membership:

American Chemistry Society

American Medical Student Association

The Emergency Medicine Interest Group of South Florida

Minority Pre-Professional Science Society

National Society of Collegiate Scholars

Golden Key International

Schools to which I have applied to:

School Name Program Type Combined Degree Area(s) Previously Applied?
Albany Medical College Regular M.D. No
Albert Einstein College of Medicine Regular M.D. No
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine Regular M.D. No
Columbia University College of P & S Regular M.D. No
Creighton University School of Medicine Regular M.D. No
Drexel University College of Medicine Regular M.D. No
FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine Regular M.D. Yes
Florida State University Regular M.D. Yes
Georgetown University School of Medicine Regular M.D. No
Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ. Regular M.D. No

Meharry Medical College Regular M.D. No
New York Medical College Regular M.D. No
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien Regular M.D. No
The University of Miami School of Medicine Regular M.D. Yes
Tufts University School of Medicine Regular M.D. No
Tulane University School of Medicine Regular M.D. No
University of Central Florida COM Regular M.D. Yes
University of Florida Regular M.D. Yes
University of South Florida College of Medicine Regular M.D. Yes

Washington University School of Medicine Regular M.D. No

RED FLAGS
1. I am a reapplicant
2. I have taken the MCAT twice
3. All of my LORS are from last cycle. (I have asked my professors to update them but none of them are willing to do so)
4. I have taken some time off since I graduated.
5. My applications are on hold until I submit my new mcat scores.
6. I got a M on my writing.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say your application looks great, I wouldn't be worried about the red flags you have noted.. Many applicants are re-applicants, taking the MCAT twice and increasing your score by 9 points in unreal, and taking time off isn't looked down upon, many students need a little break from school before the commit their "life" to medical school. Your M on the writing sample shouldn't have much effect on your application as your numbers are stellar. having your application on hold is the only red flag so far, but outside of SDN your still in a decent time frame for applying. You might be offered interviews a little later than most but you should still get them. Best of luck to you!

Anesthetic

I don't see any red flags. The things you listed as red flags won't really impact your application. My only concern is that you are entering this cycle late. AMCAS can take several weeks to verify your application at this point, which means you won't get secondaries until at least October.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see any red flags. The things you listed as red flags won't really impact your application. My only concern is that you are entering this cycle late. AMCAS can take several weeks to verify your application at this point, which means you won't get secondaries until at least October.

I have most of my secodaries done. I got my application verified in august. I just waited until i got my scores to send them in.

Unless your Personal Statement is poor, your LORs are lukewarm, or you don't interview well, your application as presented has a good chance of success. Hopefully there are other improvements besides the excellent MCAT score.

High GPA + High MCAT + Hispanic = money. You'll get in this year.

Sorry to get off topic, but when you list SMART Scholars as an award, are you referring to the scholarship through the Department of Defense? Is that considered an award? Because I totally have one of those!

Also I think you're golden unless you interview poorly or something. Nice job and best of luck!

Sorry to get off topic, but when you list SMART Scholars as an award, are you referring to the scholarship through the Department of Defense? Is that considered an award? Because I totally have one of those!

Also I think you're golden unless you interview poorly or something. Nice job and best of luck!

Yeah that is the exact one!

Thanks guys for all your posts so far. I just got an interview from FIU I will update this page as time goes on to let everyone know where I am at with the whole application process. Thanks once again guys!

Excellent stats, OP -- you're golden. Nice improvement on the MCAT. I agree with the others; your concerns don't look like red flags to me. Good luck at the FIU interview.

Wow, great improvement on the MCAT!

Your only real red flag is number 3.

You will get in somewhere. I was a reapplicant who took the MCAT twice and took a year off after I graduated. My MCAT was also much lower than yours.

You're fine.

I got another invite today. It was from FSU!!! They gave me another interview this year after waitlisting me last year. I guess they feel that I am worth giving a second chance. I'm so happy I am already doing better than last year. :) I only had one interview last year.

I got another invite today. It was from FSU!!! They gave me another interview this year after waitlisting me last year. I guess they feel that I am worth giving a second chance. I'm so happy I am already doing better than last year. :) I only had one interview last year.

Expect multiple offers!! :)

Biggest problem you are going to have is picking a med school.....:D