What are my chances....honestly!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolfvgang

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this is another "here's my personal situation that I find perplexing" post. I have a Bachelors degree in Psychology, but because of almost flunking out of college my freshman year, I was only able to bring my cumulative GPA up to a 2.9. However, I did make gradual improvement as an undergraduate. After graduating, I worked for a mental health clinic as a counselor and worked closely with some psychiatrists and GPs full time for a year. There I caught the "gotta be a doctor bug." Now I am back in college picking up all the pre-requisite science courses, and have a GPA of 3.76 in these courses. I Know I will ace the MCAT (I've always done very well on standardized tests). So, with that background in mind, here's my questions: 1. Should I pursue a Master degree or just another bachelors in science, and 2. What do you think my chances are if I score at least a 32 on the MCAT? Thanks in advance for any comments or advice! :0)

Members don't see this ad.

Have you applied to medical school yet? Honestly, it might take at least one round of rejections to prove your interest in medical school. I cite my own experience as evidence. I too had only about a 3.0 undergrad GPA. Six years after graduating. from college though, I have improved my application enough to have been granted a few acceptances. I don't say this for self-gratification. I only want you to know that given the proper resolve, a 3.0 in not fatal.
That being said, I think med schools blow a lot of sunshine up applicants' a@% about seeking more than just good grades. Saddam Hussein with a 3.9 will get lots of interviews and equal acceptances. Mother Theresa with a 3.0, would barely get the time of day! I know this is a silly and extreme example, but I think you know where I'm coming from.
Try to apply with what you have on your plate now. If you get no response, conseder a masters program. I did one at Boston UNiversity and went from a leper to a medical student in 2 years.

Hang in there and dont't fear rejection

Thanks for the supportive advice! No, I have not yet applied to any med schools, but I will be applying to all the schools in Texas. I am also thinking of applying to DO schools as well, in order to improve my chances of becoming a doctor. The reason I made the original post is because my pre-med advisor keeps lecturing me on how difficult med school is, and tells me that no matter how many A's I make as a post-baccalaureate I will never get into med school because of the 2.9 undergrad GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Wolfvgang:

My stats are virtually identical to yours; same degree as well. I applied with a 3.07 and a 28 MCAT and was accepted to TCOM this year. I found this ironic as their gpa #s are slightly higher than most of the allo schools in TX. I received interviews at almost every school but did have to reapply a second time. The first time I went through the application process I was waitlisted at UTMB and Tech. Good luck with the MCAT. It was very humbling for me- I had always assumed that I would ace it as well....

Take what your pre-med advisor says with a grain of salt. They are looking to keep their stats high by trying to discourage those who may not make it in. I am living breathing proof of low undergrad GPA getting in. If I listened to my pre-med advisor, I'd be in nursing school right now. She said I would never make it even into osteopathic schools.

I've told my story before, but really quick... 2.66 undergrad GPA. Yours is great in comparison. 1st time around 28 MCAT... Decided on master's program route and got my MPH at Berkeley with a 3.85 GPA. I applied after that and got a few interviews and was waitlisted, but didn't make it in. Retook the MCAT and improved a lot, went to post bacc. Kept a 3.7 GPA in post bacc and have gotten into some allopathic schools this time around (including UC Davis) . If I can do it, anyone can... pick the right schools for you, and go osteo only if you really want to not just because it is easier to get in. Good luck, don't give up.

My stats aren't quite as low as yours, but then again, they weren't much better than yours either. My story is complicated, but undergradwise, I started out with 3.19 and worked my way up 5 (yes 5!) years later to a 3.75 with a cummulative GPA of 3.4 non-science and 3.5 science. Our premed class grades almost seem identical. The pattern is important because I was 17 when I got the 3.19 and though that isn't a good excuse, it sure does show that I get better and more serious with time.

I also did a Masters of Biomedical science at Barry Univ in Miami. It was a one year accelerated program but they do have a two year program (I applied to and was rejected from MCP/Hahnemann's post bac program, but they sort of "gurantee" admissions into their MD program if you do well in the post bac, ditto for CMS Finch's post bac program). I did very well at Barry (4.0 during the 3 semesters I was there)and got a ton of interviews (if I were not so green, I'd be in !). Personally, I think a great post bac will make up for a poor undergrad. Afterall, there's so many horrible things in undergrad curriculum, like math and math and math. Yuck!

I don't have any experience with second bachelors, but if you have the bucks and the time, I'd do a Masters just to get my academic credentials up. With mostly science courses in postbacs, you should do very well. I applied to AMCAS out of college and didn't get one interview. With the post bac, I got quite a few.

If you get a 32 MCAT, that'll surpass my max MCAT of 30, so you'll be looking good. In fact, with a 32 MCAT and stellar postbacs, that'll convince me (pretend I'm on a adcom!) that you've redeemed yourself, assuming you have some extracurric (which you seem to have), great letters and a cool personal statement. I'm sure more than a few schools (esp TX schools) get applicants with high grades and MCATs, so they're really looking for the WHOLE package.

If you caught the bug, make sure they know. I caught the bug and I mentioned that on everyone of my secondary applications.
smile.gif