What are my chances? How should I proceed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TenaciousX

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My primary goal is to have the privilege to become a physician and have the highest direct impact on patients. Thus, I would be happy with getting into a DO school if I am not able to get into an MD school. OOS DO and MD is okay with me too. I am applying this next cycle broadly to TMDSAS and AACOMAS. I just want some opinions on how I should proceed or what are my chances at the moment of getting in.

First off, I applied to TMDSAS in Texas last cycle and didn't hear anything. I regret not applying broadly to DO, but here are my stats:

Texas resident, Asian male
B.S. in Chemistry (graduated December 2015) without grade replacement: 3.6 cGPA, 3.53 sGPA. last 60 hours: 3.83
with grade replacement: 3.766 cGPA (not sure about sGPA, maybe 3.6 or 3.7)
MCAT 1st 22 (8,4,10), 2nd 26 (9,8,9). I am currently studying for the 5/6/16 mcat (hoping to get a 504 or higher)

Extracurriculars:

For 3 months, jan-mar 2016: 150 hours, Volunteered and shadowed at a family medicine practice, I was allowed to do things that a medical assistant could (collect patient history, check blood pressure, talk to patients, sometimes give injections; afterwards, I'd show the physician my notes, and I was allowed to shadow her and ask questions). I received a strong LOR from an MD here

Aug 2015-Dec 2015: part-time job 240 hours (15hrs/week) Individual Science/Math tutor for my university

Jan 2014-Dec 2014: part-time 500+ hours (15-20 hrs/week) SI Chemistry Group tutor at my university

Hospital volunteer: 50 hrs 2013 (pediatrics, wound center, radiation therapy)

Shadowed multiple physicians: ICU pulmonologist 10 hrs, orthopedic surgeon 5 hrs, Cardiologist 20 hrs

Aug 2013-Dec 2015: 500+ hours treasurer and libero (defensive leader) of Men's club Volleyball team

Aug 2012-Dec 2014: 300+ hours member of Mens soccer club, also formed multiple intramural soccer teams

others: AMSA member for 2 years, lift weights consistently for past 5-6 years

I know I lack research, but I didn't really find it too appealing (atleast the topics that my professors research about)

LOR:

-MD letter from the family medicine practice experience
-commitee letter from college a year ago (I think it's average, but I'm not sure; the professor who wrote it said I should apply to med school)

Future: I applied to a post bac at UNT for a 1 year masters of medical sciences, but I'm having second thoughts that with my GPA, I don't really need it. However, if i do get accepted, it would be a very good review for MS1. Currently, I kinda doubt I'll get accepted because I haven't heard anything back, and it starts in a month. I am taking the MCAT on 5/6 and shooting for 504+. Plan B: Get an EMT certification (I've always wanted to do this but never got around to it) this summer, find an EMT job and work with patients and other healthcare professionals, research in a microbio lab (I have a close relationship with the professor since we know each other personally, but once again, never took advantage of this research opportunity while in undergrad; plus, her research topic is kinda interesting now) this summer. I'm thinking of volunteering at Habitat for Humanity too or at a volunteer EMS service. Maybe apply for a clinical research assistant also. Not too sure.

I know my stats and whole app isn't super competitive, but honestly, I just want to get in somewhere MD or DO (I am not considering Caribbean no matter what). I wish I could stay in Texas, but I have to be realistic and want to start med school as soon as possible.

I probably left out some things, but I'm hungry and need to get back to studying MCAT.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for taking the time to read it and for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be competitive for the majority of DO schools so apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. Apply broadly to at least 15 schools and include these:
UNTHSC-TCOM
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
There will be a new DO school opening in TX for 2017 (Incarnate Word) and also new schools in Utah and Arkansas so apply to those also.
Your chances are low for MD but if you can increase your MCAT to at least 505 then apply to the TX MD schools also.

You should be competitive for the majority of DO schools so apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. Apply broadly to at least 15 schools and include these:
UNTHSC-TCOM
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
There will be a new DO school opening in TX for 2017 (Incarnate Word) and also new schools in Utah and Arkansas so apply to those also.
Your chances are low for MD but if you can increase your MCAT to at least 505 then apply to the TX MD schools also.
Thanks a bunch! I like this tentative list. I'm crossing my fingers for a school in TX, but i'll be sure to use your advice.