svm1987

10+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2008
Status
hi i go to college in boston and am applying to dpm schools now. my overall gpa is a 2.99 and science gpa is a 2.94, and a 19 om mcat (8 ps and 7 bs). My major is human physiolgy and have taken many courses like systems phys, exercise phys, neuroantomy and neurophysiology, cardiopulmonary pathophysiolgy, and gross anatomy. Also in the gross anatomy class we actually work with real cadavers. I know my stats are pretty low, but do you think i have a chance for any dpm schools?

geoff325

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Podiatry
some, yes. Apply and practice as much as possible for your interview. If you are to get in somewhere, it is going to be because you had a strong interview and were able to explain things clearly and convince them that you deserve a chance. You need to maximize your interviews, as opposed to some who have better stats and as long as they don't call the interviewer a moron they can get in.

UNMorBUST

Mystery Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2008
Land Of Enchantment(Burque Baby)
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I suggest you retake the MCAT. You need to balance out your gpa. If you don't make it this go around, just improve your grades and get a better MCAT score. This is just one year if you want to succed just keep trying.

dtrack22

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
Podiatrist
Careful with retaking the MCAT. It is generally NOT a good idea. If you have below a 3.0, a 19 on the MCAT sounds reasonable. If you retake the MCAT and you get about the same score all you are saying to admissions is "hey, 19 is about as good as I'm going to do" (that's not good). If you score worse (very possible) you're saying "hey, I got lucky with the 19, my critical thinking skills are actually worse than that" (also not good). If you are going to retake it, make sure you STUDY and do significantly better the second time around (no guarantee and not easy to do). I would apply and take my chances. If you don't get in then work for a year or two, gain some valuable "experiences" you can put on your app. and apply again with the same numbers. Sounds to me like a 3.0 and 19 could get you into Pod school with good LOR's, extra-currics, interview. I personally think you have more to LOSE when retaking the MCAT. Of course you could get 10 10 10 and not have to worry about all this.