What are my chances? Improvements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boogy'sChick15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Summary: 20, Caucasian female, first generation college student, 3rd year Physics major, Biophysics minor, expected to graduate Spring of 2018 (3 more years).

State of Residence: CA

cGPA: 3.58
sGPA: 3.53

ECs:
Clinical experience:
- clinical nonpaying internship at a hospital. Rotate through multiple floors (MedSurg, NSU, ICU, ER, OR, etc.) every 3 months. I work along side the nursing staff by bathing, changing, feeding, positioning, and transporting patients. I take their vitals, run specimens to the lab, and once I assist in the OR (have not rotated yet, expected to rotate to this department in 6 months) I will observe surgeries. currently have 6 months of experience in this internship (96 hrs), upon graduation of program I will have 280+ hours and a personal letter of recommendation from department coordinator.

Future clinical experience:
-I am currently organizing a club at my school that raises money for a global organization in order to open clinics in South America and Africa for residents who don't have access to healthcare. If our fundraising goal is met, we will then fly out to one of these clinics for 7-9 days to assist with vitals, triage, intake, and be able to observe consultations with the physicians and the patients.

Volunteer:
-2 years volunteering under child life for CHOC, where I spent time with the children doing arts and crafts, playing games, etc.
-Participated in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day breast cancer walk in 2012, where we walked 60 miles in 3 days, and individually I raised $2,400. Plan on participating in the walk again in 2016

Leadership:
-Treasurer for my Global Medical Brigades Club on campus (club that raises money for clinics)
-Community Service Chair for Cancer Awareness Club on campus

Future Research:
-No research just yet, but have connections that will help me get into the City of Hope Cancer Research Institute for their summer research program
-Will be doing research next year with physics professor (biophysics)

Work History:
-Worked on campus at Library since I started my freshman year (so currently going into my 3rd year) (15+ hrs/week)
-Work at a car dealership every summer (20+ hrs/week)
-May apply for RA position next year

have not taken MCAT yet, will be taking prep courses next year.
GPA is low, but I'm working on it! got 3 more years left to hopefully turn it around.
I have letters of recommendations from UCI alumni, department coordinator from my internship, professors, and potentially from a family friend who is a professor at Standford University.
Goal is oncology, specifically RadOnc. Have experienced 7 family members be diagnosed with cancer, 3 of which died. Lost a friend to breast cancer last year.

What are my chances for California Med Schools and what can I do to improve?
Any and all advice is welcome, but please be gentle :)

Members don't see this ad.

Overall, CA applicants have about a 15% chance of matriculating in state (even really, really good ones).
Improve your gpa, develop as a citizen and do well on the MCAT.
Make sure to pay at least twice as much attention to your list of OOS schools as CA schools and you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Overall, CA applicants have about a 15% chance of matriculating in state (even really, really good ones).
Improve your gpa, develop as a citizen and do well on the MCAT.
Make sure to pay at least twice as much attention to your list of OOS schools as CA schools and you should be fine.
Thank you for the advice! I really want to stay in CA but I will definitely look into more OOS schools if it seems they might be the only option. Do you know why it is that CA applicants have such a small matriculation percentage?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice! I really want to stay in CA but I will definitely look into more OOS schools if it seems they might be the only option. Do you know why it is that CA applicants have such a small matriculation percentage?
We have 6000 fine candidates for just over 800 positions (for IS).

Summary: 20, Caucasian female, first generation college student, 3rd year Physics major, Biophysics minor, expected to graduate Spring of 2018 (3 more years).

State of Residence: CA

cGPA: 3.58
sGPA: 3.53

ECs:
Clinical experience:
- clinical nonpaying internship at a hospital. Rotate through multiple floors (MedSurg, NSU, ICU, ER, OR, etc.) every 3 months. I work along side the nursing staff by bathing, changing, feeding, positioning, and transporting patients. I take their vitals, run specimens to the lab, and once I assist in the OR (have not rotated yet, expected to rotate to this department in 6 months) I will observe surgeries. currently have 6 months of experience in this internship (96 hrs), upon graduation of program I will have 280+ hours and a personal letter of recommendation from department coordinator.

Future clinical experience:
-I am currently organizing a club at my school that raises money for a global organization in order to open clinics in South America and Africa for residents who don't have access to healthcare. If our fundraising goal is met, we will then fly out to one of these clinics for 7-9 days to assist with vitals, triage, intake, and be able to observe consultations with the physicians and the patients.

Volunteer:
-2 years volunteering under child life for CHOC, where I spent time with the children doing arts and crafts, playing games, etc.
-Participated in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day breast cancer walk in 2012, where we walked 60 miles in 3 days, and individually I raised $2,400. Plan on participating in the walk again in 2016

Leadership:
-Treasurer for my Global Medical Brigades Club on campus (club that raises money for clinics)
-Community Service Chair for Cancer Awareness Club on campus

Future Research:
-No research just yet, but have connections that will help me get into the City of Hope Cancer Research Institute for their summer research program
-Will be doing research next year with physics professor (biophysics)

Work History:
-Worked on campus at Library since I started my freshman year (so currently going into my 3rd year) (15+ hrs/week)
-Work at a car dealership every summer (20+ hrs/week)
-May apply for RA position next year

have not taken MCAT yet, will be taking prep courses next year.
GPA is low, but I'm working on it! got 3 more years left to hopefully turn it around.
I have letters of recommendations from UCI alumni, department coordinator from my internship, professors, and potentially from a family friend who is a professor at Standford University.
Goal is oncology, specifically RadOnc. Have experienced 7 family members be diagnosed with cancer, 3 of which died. Lost a friend to breast cancer last year.

What are my chances for California Med Schools and what can I do to improve?
Any and all advice is welcome, but please be gentle :)
Wait, I'm confused. You're a third year and you have three years left?

Wait, I'm confused. You're a third year and you have three years left?
Yes. I am in my Fall quarter of my 3rd year, and I plan to graduate in Spring 2018. So that's 2 additional years including this year that just started. It will take me 5 years to graduate in total since my physics major does not cover much of the required premed classes. I had to add a whole year of biology, ochem, microbiology, biochemical, etc.

Sorry, I know its confusing.