What are my chances in EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkpwalker

ID Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG 5 years out of med school currently working in an emergency room for the last 3 years that really does not see that many emergencies. I have no US experience. my scores: step 1 - 78, step 2 - 99, CS - pass, ECFMG certified, step 3 - 86, all first time. What are my chances of landing an EM spot come 2008?:(

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the EM forum! Please enjoy our "local" customs, and take this opportunity to get a sense of what some people in EM are like. We place a great deal of value on a lighthearted work environment, and likewise put a premium on planning ahead and making use of all available resources.

In other words: 1) You are probably going to be clowned a little now. It's okay; we do it to everyone. 2) Use the search function, and see what you can come up with.

As to your question, I really have no idea.

i can take a good punch just as good as the next guy, as long as it's not below the belt. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
In that case:

PHP:
_ _ _ _ _    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Anyone want to spin the wheel?

In that case:

PHP:
_ _ _ _ _    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Anyone want to spin the wheel?

I'll take a "Q" for $600 Alex! Let their be Q's baby, gimme a Q"

Alex? what the hell are you talking about? This ain't no damn hoity toity Jeopardy crap. This is The Wheel!!

And this is going to be old school. You have to spend your money on crappy stuff while your face floats around the show room.

SweetTea, it lands on $100

We need a Vanna, just going by screen names without any confirmatory pictures, I'll nominate SoCute. Sorry Sweet Tea, you've already confirmed your roll as a contestant

Alex? what the hell are you talking about? This ain't no damn hoity toity Jeopardy crap. This is The Wheel!!

And this is going to be old school. You have to spend your money on crappy stuff while your face floats around the show room.

SweetTea, it lands on $100

Give me a T, Pat!

Is it my turn to spin the wheel yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
i can take a good punch just as good as the next guy, as long as it's not below the belt. :D
Excellent. In that case, if you haven't already done, check out the "pros/cons of EM" thread (which at the moment happens to be the next one down from this one). The same advice will apply...

I am an IMG 5 years out of med school currently working in an emergency room for the last 3 years that really does not see that many emergencies. I have no US experience. my scores: step 1 - 78, step 2 - 99, CS - pass, ECFMG certified, step 3 - 86, all first time. What are my chances of landing an EM spot come 2008?:(

As long as everyone else is just making fun I'll at least try to answer. Nobody really knows. EM keeps getting more competive but some IMG's, including some here, still find places. The only way you will know is to apply to an absolute crap load of places, interview everywhere you get an offer, rank'em all, cross your fingers, and see what happens

Ok and Sweet Tee uses the most valuable letter choice on the least valuable wheel spot... interesting strategy...

PHP:
_ _ T T _    _ _ _ _ T T _ _ _ _ T _

Spin the wheel HIANMI!

You can't be Vanna and a player, come on!

Ok and Sweet Tee uses the most valuable letter choice on the least valuable wheel spot... interesting strategy...

PHP:

Spin the wheel HIANMI!

I'm good with the spelling and the clapping, but I don't actually watch Wheel of Fortune and don't know the number values. :oops:

Next time, I call Vanna.

PHP:

Spin the wheel HIANMI!

Ooo...if I get to pick where I land, I pick the 10,000 spot. And I want the letter F.

Ooo...if I get to pick where I land, I pick the 10,000 spot. And I want the letter F.

F _ T T _ _ _ F _ T T _ _ _ _ T _

Since USCDiver wouldn't let Sweet Tea be Vanna, I s'pose I'll have to interrupt my board studying to pinch hit. (But ST, I am most DEFINITELY going to need a wardrobe consult)

As long as everyone else is just making fun I'll at least try to answer. Nobody really knows. EM keeps getting more competive but some IMG's, including some here, still find places. The only way you will know is to apply to an absolute crap load of places, interview everywhere you get an offer, rank'em all, cross your fingers, and see what happens

Thank you, some sound advice, i have already compiled a huge list and will apply come sept 1. will be keeping my fingers crossed and hope for the best. thanks again

F _ T T _ _ _ F _ T T _ _ _ _ T _

Since USCDiver wouldn't let Sweet Tea be Vanna, I s'pose I'll have to interrupt my board studying to pinch hit. (But ST, I am most DEFINITELY going to need a wardrobe consult)

Thank you Vanna Cute. Who's next to spin?

Crap, I really need to buy me a TV...:oops:

The only way you will know is to apply to an absolute crap load of places, interview everywhere you get an offer, rank'em all, cross your fingers, and see what happens

That's my plan, although I've still got a number of years to go...:cool:

Vanna, can I buy a vowel?

Yeap. Apply broadly. You will get interviews SOMEWHERE. Your application doesn't sound awful even though lack of US experience is not ideal. Lots of people with unique experiences match. You will just have to use these experiences to your advantage. Good luck.

Yeap. Apply broadly. You will get interviews SOMEWHERE. Your application doesn't sound awful even though lack of US experience is not ideal. Lots of people with unique experiences match. You will just have to use these experiences to your advantage. Good luck.

thank you, it is these little things that give the hopefuls like me courage to go on and spend all that money come september on applications.:D