Dental What are my chances in this cycle for dental school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a terribly low gpa for my last semester of undergrad. 3.1-3.2 o 2.9-3.0 s. My stats and EC are below..
-Operating Room volunteer
- Volunteered at my universities Dental School
- I work as a dental assistant
-I've done some research (unpublished)
- 100 hours shadowing a General dentist
- Certified Pharmacy Technician
- Certified Phlebotomist
- I've been a ta for several math courses including Calculus 1
- I graduated from a harder stem school
-ill be finishing this semester with almost all A's (indicates improvement)

Im giving myself 6 months to study for the DAT and hoping for a 22+. Im also looking into getting my MS in Physiology and biophysics or a post bacc. Any help or advice would be appreciate.

What was your major and type of University? What manual dexterity activity have you been developing? How about dental shadowing (100 hours doing what)?

Your GPA looks like it needs a SMP to boost your chances. How about your DAT scores?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like OP hasn't taken their DAT yet. Honestly, with your sGPA and oGPA so low, I'd look into an SMP to help show schools that you can handle a rigorous curriculum. Be careful of studying so long for the DAT, you may burnout and/or start to forget things you learned in the beginning of your preparation. Outside of academics, you'll need a strong PS and strong LORs to help better your chances.

I would maybe repost once you have DAT scores in hand, and after joining an SMP. A formal postbacc could help, but it depends on how many units you've already taken, so an SMP may be better.

I agree, but I'm more inclined to not jumping into an SMP that quickly though it is definitely going to become a necessary step. The profile still seems to me like the OP has wandered around with searching for a good fit career. For dentistry to me (as an admissions dental/prehealth advisor), I would need an idea of resiliency, patience, and perseverance through hand skills because the fine motor skills element is still very essential. To that end, I need more information about being a "dental assistant" at a dental school, on shadowing, on how phlebotomy helps give me insight (for and against dentistry... we need good phlebotomists).

To get into an MS, I would need a lot more information about grades. The OP noted a drop in senior year grades/last semester of undergraduate. There probably are extenuating circumstances. Research potential is there even if the work is unpublished, but I would want to know about access to good advisors and the style of learning to succeed at that specific undergraduate program ("harder STEM school"?). Once you get into an SMP, you can't really dedicate 6 months to DAT study. And frankly (also from being a former test prep teacher/advisor), I don't think 6 months is really a worthwhile schedule unless you have to work full-time while studying. But then again, if the GPA inference is any indication, I don't see how that type of preparation is going to help get a 22+ without strict discipline and guidance/tutoring that one may actually need to pay for. And what may wind up being necessary is a complete relearn of prerequisite information as tested on the DAT. So then we're back to the question of retaking prereqs if that is also the issue noted on the transcripts, which is likely since the sGPA was expressed as near 3.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.