What are my chances into medical school (Do) with my low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bsantos248

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am a Hispanic first generation to a higher institution going for a bachelors degree in biology. I really want to get a strong view point if my chances to get accepted or the very least get a interview at an Osteopathic Medical school. I am a senior standing at my university. My gpa is not the best with a 3.12 science gpa and a 3.47 baccalaureate gpa. My MCAT score is a 510. I have over 800 hours in medical volunteering (400 hours as a medical interpreter in Spanish with the medical doctors, 300 hours in translating the medical terminology into Spanish for the growing Hispanic community, and 100 hours in clerical support/ admitting patients at a surgical office).
Now the question is why the low gpa? Well, I have been working since freshman year at a golf course (manual labor) around 30-40 hours weekly on top of my volunteer work which takes a lot of energy from me and I was paying my way through college. I was thinking of doing an SMP but I don't know where is the best place (cost effective) to attend. I live in Oregon.
I appreciate any advice and highly value anyone opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!
I am a Hispanic first generation to a higher institution going for a bachelors degree in biology. I really want to get a strong view point if my chances to get accepted or the very least get a interview at an Osteopathic Medical school. I am a senior standing at my university. My gpa is not the best with a 3.12 science gpa and a 3.47 baccalaureate gpa. My MCAT score is a 510. I have over 800 hours in medical volunteering (400 hours as a medical interpreter in Spanish with the medical doctors, 300 hours in translating the medical terminology into Spanish for the growing Hispanic community, and 100 hours in clerical support/ admitting patients at a surgical office).
Now the question is why the low gpa? Well, I have been working since freshman year at a golf course (manual labor) around 30-40 hours weekly on top of my volunteer work which takes a lot of energy from me and I was paying my way through college. I was thinking of doing an SMP but I don't know where is the best place (cost effective) to attend. I live in Oregon.
I think your chances at acceptance are pretty good. Your cGPA isn't really that bad and your MCAT is pretty nice. I won't say that it makes up for your sGPA, but I think it really helps you.

You got a good chance with that MCAT. My only suggestion is to take a few science classes before applying just to bump it up but other than that you are solid.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are other students who've maintained competitive GPAs while working full time. You won't be able to justify the low sGPA due to work.

That said, your cGPA is at the mean and your MCAT is almost 2 standard deviations above the mean. You're competitive for most DO programs as is. Apply to those that you meet the cutoffs for and apply broadly at the beginning of the application cycle. I would caution against a SMP. They are rigorous and if you fail to achieve a high GPA in one, your chances of matriculating fall to near zero. I would apply this year, while taking additional science classes during summer/Fall.

I got in without a gap year, with a very similar gpa and cgpa and a 504 mcat. And with very few clinic volunteering hours.
I think you have a chance. An SMP would be a waste of time and money I think (but what do I know...) you are already competitive with that gpa and mcat.
However I would recommend some non-clinical volunteering maybe.
Shadowing a DO and getting a LOR is also vital IMO.
I would also stress applying BROADLY. I applied to 19 DO programs and more MD.

The MCAT is very competitive, the GPA while normally would not be competitive, you are a URM which means that it is competitive in your case. Apply broadly and you will see results.

Apply broadly and you'll get IIs.

Hello everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
School list will be very important.

Also, submit your apps EARLY. Like, the first possible day. Start prepping your application and school list now so you can submit everything right away.

You'll get a number of interviews for DO, what Hispanic group do you represent? If you are from Mexico then you are URM and might get some looks from the mission driven MD schools as well.

You'll get a number of interviews for DO, what Hispanic group do you represent? If you are from Mexico then you are URM and might get some looks from the mission driven MD schools as well.

I thought all hispanics were URM? What about Puerto Rican?

I thought all hispanics were URM? What about Puerto Rican?

Nope. Traditionally, it's only Puerto Ricans and Mexicans. However, if I'm not mistaken, it's up to the discretion of each school to decide what groups are considered URMs.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope. Traditionally, it's only Puerto Ricans and Mexicans. However, if I'm not mistaken, it's up to the discretion of each school to decide what groups are considered URMs.

What if I'm half Puerto Rican (father born there) but my mother was born in a Central American Latin country?

Hello everyone!
WesternU will accept you as you stand right now.

If possible I would raise your sgpa to 3.3-3.5 and apply to MD afterwards. Some MD schools treat non PR/Mexican Hispanics as URM so you could have a decent shot, at least to the point of it being worth an application.

If you can speak fluent spanish there are schools in PR that i think you can get into