1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MD What are my chances, kind folks?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Clevelandrocks23, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Clevelandrocks23

Pre-Medical
    Good afternoon all! I am a post-baccalaureate student residing in Cleveland, OH with a degree in psychology, and am looking for any thoughts on other schools worth adding to the list based on stats/whatnot. Without further ado, here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.82

sGPA: 3.9 (4.0 post-bacc)

MCAT: 515 (130,127,129,129)

Clinical volunteer: ~150 hours (3 hrs/wk) volunteering as an Emergency Department liaison (ongoing), ~75 hours at a free clinic (1.5 hrs/wk)

Physician shadowing: Family medicine ~130 hrs (13 hrs/wk, spread across 3 doctors), 50 hrs Gastroenterology (10 hrs/wk), 50 hrs Consult Psychiatry (10 hrs/wk), 30 hrs PICU (10 hrs/wk)

Research: Undergraduate -- Conducted research project for senior honors thesis (topic was cognitive psychology) and presented at poster session; Post-bacc -- volunteered as a lab assistant for a lab studying colon cancer epidemiology

Nonclinical volunteer -- Crisis Hotline Representative ~150 hrs (10 hrs/wk),

Employment -- Team Leader at local ice cream shop (20 hrs/wk), Kaplan Campus Representative (10 hrs/wk), currently employed as group Supplemental Instructor/Peer Tutor for Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, and General Chemistry for school's Tutoring Center (40 hrs/wk). I have been working at my current job for roughly two years now, and I just interviewed with Kaplan for an MCAT tutoring position.

Other: Vice President/President for Post-Bacc school's American Medical Student Association chapter

My school list is as follows:

Albert Einstein, Yeshiva
    Alpert Medical School
    Case Western Reserve University (extensive connections, father is alumnus/grandfather was a dean)
    Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine (father is associate professor)
    Feinberg School of Medicine
    University of Pittsburgh
    Mayo Clinic
    NEOMED
    Rosalind Franklin University
    Ohio State University
    University of Virginia
    University of Michigan
    University of Cincinnati

I have submitted all secondaries except for Albert Einstein (received today) and NEOMED. I am unsure as to what impact alumni connections/school connections have these days, but I figured I should include them for details' sake.

#1 Clevelandrocks23, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. md-2020

md-2020 The Immaculate Catch
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You're golden. Why are you doing a post-bacc with a 3.82/3.9 though? Did you not finish your pre-reqs on time?

Know that unless you went to Brown it is extremely difficult to even get an II there. (Favors Brown undergrads heavily, plus reserved PLME spots).

4. Clevelandrocks23

Pre-Medical
    Thank you so much for the reply! I decided partway through my junior year that I wanted to pursue medicine as opposed to a career in psychology. Doing prerequisites at my undergraduate institution would have put me largely in debt, so I went back home and enrolled at the local state school to finish up. I guess in that sense I'm a non-traditional non-traditional :p.

5. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I suggest the following. Nothing wrong with aiming high; the ones I have in bold are schools where your MCAT score is 2-3 points below their avg, and your GPA is ~ the same as the school avg. Thus, proceed with caution on these, but I feel you're in striking distance for some.

U VM

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush

Rosy Franklin

NYMC

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

Tulane

USC/Keck

Loyola

USF Morsani

Emory

BU

Mayo

Duke

Case

Baylor

JHU

Pitt

Northwestern

NYU

Vanderbilt

Columbia

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools.

Your state school(s).

6. Clevelandrocks23

Pre-Medical
    Wow Goro, what a thorough list! Thank you very much!

7. Banco

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Excellent application. You have some big names on there, which is okay, but maybe it would be safer to add a few more realistic options. Definitely add Wright State and Toledo.

Look into: Rochester, SLU, BU, Rush, Loyola

8. Clevelandrocks23

Pre-Medical
    Thank you, Banco! Good call re: the other state schools and I shall certainly look into the other ones!

9. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Youll want all Ohio schools. Those serve as solid safeties. Throw in some OOS lower tiers and the rest of your list is at your discretion(although I would stick to the reaches on Goro's list).

#8 GrapesofRath, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015