What are my chances: little related experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texasguy21

Reaction score
Overall GPA:3.75
Science GPA: 3.49
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.51
State of Residence:
TX

Major: Biology
Minor: Business Administrations

Shadowing Experience: 25 hours at 3 different general dentists
Volunteering Experience: None dental related, about 75 through fraternity
Employment: None related to dentistry, just in real estate
Research: None
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere:
I don't really have any extracurriculars related to dentistry or healthcare, I've been very active in my fraternity and am one of the people in charge of creating and organizing an act with the whole fraternity that every Greek organization takes part in. The act is seen by over ten thousand people throughout the two weekends that it shows. I also started out as an accounting pre-dental major so I have a lot of business classes that have helped teach me how to run a business but I switched my major to biology part way through my first semester of junior year (this year) because the upper level accounting courses were more concerned with stock and bond analysis and the tax code than things that would be very beneficial for running a dental practice. I'm just worried that my lack of extracurriculars is going to be my downfall even though there's nothing I'd rather do than be a dentist. I plan on taking the DAT and applying to schools this summer, what can I do in this short time span to increase my odds or do I even have a shot at getting in this coming year?
School list: Texas dental schools are my top choices but really anywhere I can get in.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Howdy from a fellow Texan!
Up those shadowing hours and make sure you know one of those dentists well enough to get a LOR from them. Up your volunteering hours (health and non-health related) as well and try to go to a few TMOM's before you apply. Make sure you're cozying up to your profs this semester because it's kinda the last one you can ask for a rec.

Can't really craft a good school list without a DAT score. Keep your GPA up.

Reactions: 1 users
I would suggest shooting for 100 (or more) shadowing and volunteer hours each, if you can manage that in your time frame. With 100 shadowing hours, you should be good for most schools, but more is always better!

Reactions: 1 user