What are my chances low gpa/high MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I need a little help here, the story goes like this, graduated high school went to community college for a year and a semester earning 30 credits with a cGPA of 2.9. Still not knowing what I wanted to do transferred to a state school where I took a year of electives before settling on a Bio major with a biochem minor eventually.

first year 3.8gpa
second year 2.45gpa
third year 2.65gpa

(Did an internship in a physician's office this summer and had my mind opened and decided I wanted to be a physician, some very moving experiences.)

Fourth year 4.0
Fifth year 4.0

So, after 197 credits I look like this 3.34c, 3.20s my science gpa is low because I did very poorly in organic and gen chem 1 and 2 the first time which I retook and got As in each section, I also took biochemistry 1 and 2 (got A's with no retakes) to show I could handle difficult sciences, the last two years of my undergrad are all upper level bio and science courses with only a few electives.

I have 2 years of research ranging from auto-immune diseases and microbiology to chemistry and biochemistry (biodiesel and examining apoptosis research respectively)

I have been an EMT-B for over a year now with over 600 clinical hours there with another 200 of hands on volunteering at local hospitals.

Other non-hands-on volunteering and shadowing are about 500 hours ranging from family practice to surgery, to the ER.

I tutored Organic chemistry for a year, (after doing poorly in it the first time and getting A's the second time I wanted to show I could even explain it).

I spent the last two years of undergrad as the president of the Pre-med club with which I have many more volunteer hours

I've done habitats for humanity ~60 hours and have volunteered with local charities throughout the year ~40 hours

I also have an interesting work history 6 summers construction experience (hence habitats for humanity) eventually supervised my own crew.

Worked two summers on drilling rig (84 hours a week all summer!)

Also played a little college rugby

Lastly I studied my a** off for the MCAT for 8 months and managed a 39R 13p 13v 13b of which I was very happy about. I hope that this helps balance my low GPA a bit.

My DO gpa is actually 3.58c 3.63s (because of my retakes) and while I'm not opposed to going to a DO school I would really like to go to an MD school if possible, but I know the 3.34c 3.20s is hurting me bad. I have really good LOR's from MD's and DO's alike.

I used an AMCAS gpa calculator and estimated that 2 more years of undergraduate classes could give me a cGPA and sGPA of 3.5+ (MD)

Is MD a possibility?
Should I post-bacc or SMP?
Are my EC's ok?

Like I said I would be more than happy with a DO acceptance but I like to know what my options are? I'm in PA, would Temple or Drexel be out of reach?

Help me out SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

Is MD a possibility?
Should I post-bacc or SMP?
Are my EC's ok?

Like I said I would be more than happy with a DO acceptance but I like to know what my options are? I'm in PA, would Temple or Drexel be out of reach?
MD is a good possibility for you. You've redeemed your record with two years of straight As and your compensatory MCAT proves you "got it" (well done!). You've done well in upper-level science consistently.

I think your ECs are very, very good.

Due to the mismatch of your stats, you'll want to apply broadly. I think that Temple or Drexel should be within your reach, though I recommend applying to at least 20 schools.

You could be a poster child for how to redeem a poor academic record. Good job.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could be a poster child for how to redeem a poor academic record. Good job.

Thx, you're definitely one of the people I wanted some feedback from on this site, I feel pretty good about this now.

You should. Come back and let us know how things go with your application cycle.

Of course I will, but I'm also torn between applying this cycle, or early next cycle. Either way, I'm looking at 1-2 years between now and matriculation and I'd like to continue building my application.

This is why I'm considering post-bacc or a SMP. But I'm also open to other options, any suggestions?

If you apply now, which you'd need to do quickly due to the later time in the cycle and its resulting decreased chances, you could, further, apply in the spring to SMPs as a backup plan if you don't get in anywhere.

Or you could wait to apply in June 2011, the optimal time, for better chances.

Or you could add DO schools now or next year if the expense of an SMP is unappealing.

I think there are markedly diminishing returns to doing further postbac work considering the steep upward grade trend you have and the huge number of credits on your transcript.

I've used an amcas gpa calculator and determined that 18 more credits of undergraduate courses will get me to a 3.4c gpa. I'm going to apply June 2011 as early as possible to have the best chance, and in the interim year I'm going to do a SMP.

I'll apply broadly next year to MD and DO and see what happens. I may also do graduate classes in hopes of seeking a masters or PhD at some point in the future. I like doing research (not as much as I like medicine) and I think I can offer something as an MD/PhD. Any thoughts?

I doubt you'll need the SMP. Is money not an issue for you?

I finished undergrad with minimal debt, I was fortunate to receive grants as well as a full scholarship after my first year, so I did alright by not racking up any debt significant debt (less than 10k). My two summers on a drilling rig allowed me to bank a significant amount of savings (dangerous jobs pay exceedingly well)

So, I'm ok to be a little more liberal with my funds in getting in to medical school where I will not escape the debt that most face when graduating med school.

I really want to use my time wisely in becoming the best candidate I can be, I definitely am happy to hear that you feel I don't need the SMP (I've heard they can be risky) but I also am fully confident in myself at this point to succeed in my endeavors.

what would you recommend for my interim years? I'm very open to suggestions.

what would you recommend for my interim years? I'm very open to suggestions.
1) Work any job. 2) Continue some form of clinical exposure 3) Continue giving time regularly to a nonmedical community service 4) Rise to a leadership position within the latter and impress the socks off the adcomms that read about your accomplishments with a team of people to aid you. 5) Take some more classes in upper-level science and something you always wanted to learn about. 6) Find a unique hobby.

1) Work any job. 2) Continue some form of clinical exposure 3) Continue giving time regularly to a nonmedical community service 4) Rise to a leadership position within the latter and impress the socks off the adcomms that read about your accomplishments with a team of people to aid you. 5) Take some more classes in upper-level science and something you always wanted to learn about. 6) Find a unique hobby.

Again, thank you very much for your help, you've really been insightful, and it's good to get a little coaching through someone who knows the ropes of the system.

One more question, I've been researching some schools. Would Jefferson be too much of a stretch?

Last edited: