What are my Chances: Low GPA/Junior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Odont101

Reaction score
Overall GPA: 3.0
Major: Biology
Minor: Business administration

Shadowing and volunteering: Looking to shadow in the spring. Shadowed in high school but that was 4 years ago. I have a lot of volunteer hours and am very involved in clubs at school. I am currently a student athlete and have about 20 hours of practice a week.
Clubs/Sports:
Orientation Leader
Leaders Council
Polar Paws- Train Service Dogs
Varsity Swimming and Diving
Students in the Medical Profession

Schools interested in:
Ohio State University
Nova Southeastern
University of Kentucky
Or anywhere I get accepted
Work Experience:
I have worked seasonally in a dentist office as a dental assistant for 4 years with over 1000 hours (250+ was internship in high school).
Licensure:
Certified Ohio Dental Assistant-4 years
Radiology license-4 years
HIPAA certified

What are my chances of getting in? I am planning on taking the DAT this summer. I go to a school that is known for their sciences. We have a 6 year pharmacy program. Harder classes than your average school.

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing and volunteering: Looking to shadow in the spring. Shadowed in high school but that was 4 years ago. I have a lot of volunteer hours and am very involved in clubs at school. I am currently a student athlete and have about 20 hours of practice a week.
Clubs/Sports:
Orientation Leader
Leaders Council

Schools interested in:
Ohio State University
Nova Southeastern
University of Kentucky
Work Experience:
I have worked seasonally in a dentist office as a dental assistant for 4 years with over 1000 hours (250+ was internship in high school).
Licensure:
HIPAA certified

What are my chances of getting in? I am planning on taking the DAT this summer. I go to a school that is known for their sciences. We have a 6 year pharmacy program. Harder classes than your average school.
Based on your GPA and lack experience of dentistry, you will not accept to any schools. Need high score on DAT

cant tell anything without a DAT. shadowing in high school will not suffice for dental school so you should get minimum 100. your dental assistant job will most likely not count towards your shadowing hours. also with a 3.0 (assuming your science gpa is on par with this) you would need a 23+ gpa to have a shot. id consider a masters if you decide to apply and dont get in

Members don't see this ad :)

Clubs/Sports:
Orientation Leader
Leaders Council

Schools interested in:
Ohio State University
Nova Southeastern
University of Kentucky
Work Experience:
Licensure:
HIPAA certified

I was in a similar boat not to long ago, so I'll share my two cents.

I was a biomedical engineering major and went to a smaller private school known for its tough sciences. I also swam all four years at my school, so I understand the early morning practices and dedication to the sport. I didn't have a lot of shadowing hours because of swimming and a tough academic load, but I was able to knock out a few hours a week once swim season was over. Some of my engineering classes took a beating on my GPA, but I think if you can finish around a 3.5 you should be alright. Just really study for the DAT like crazy, a good score will go a long way for you.

Good leadership skills so far, maybe being a swim team captain would be the icing on the cake. Having a previous background in dental assisting also looks good. While the "hours" might not necessarily count, schools will know that you're serious about dentistry and it's something you want to pursue. Definitely include in your application.

I myself graduated this past May and applied this cycle. During my gap year, I am working as a dental assistant and just became certified. All of my interviews so far have ask about my experiences in assisting so it's definitely something great to talk about. I think I would wait to apply next cycle, so you can kill that DAT and get your grades up. Plus, it may sound dumb, but in another year your maturity and social skills will get better. I noticed during my interviews all these kids bragging about their 28+ DAT scores, but could not hold a conversation to save their life.

You're in average shape right now, but a lot fo potential to be a great candidate. Just keep working hard and enjoy the time you have left in college and swimming!
Best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 user