Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

what are my chances? (low gpa)

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Bluemain, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Bluemain

I'm a junior (double major in biology/psyc) right now with a GPA barely rounding up to 3.3. I received a C+ in Organic 1 and Organic 2 and a C in Genetics. Rest are A's and B's. I do go to a pretty competitive university (UNC-Chapel Hill) and have had one or two jobs (unrelated to dental field) for the last year and half, don't know if that's going to help me out? I did a 6 week service related summer program one summer and a 6 week academic enrichment program another summer. And I just begun to study for the DAT, planning to take it coming spring/summer. Anyway, what are my chances to get into any dental school, even a relatively uncompetitive one? Or should I begin to look at other options? I'm a NC resident by the way.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sublimation

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    3.3 isnt bad IMO. As lnog as u have a strong DAT to show for it. And DAT and GPA are one of many things that are looked at in ur application. Just rock that DAT and you shoulld be set.

4. Bluemain

Cool thank you. Forgot to ask by the way, should I try to retake genetics in the summer or anything?

5. nydds25

2+ Year Member

I see you were planning on applying to med school, but the low gpa stopped you. Make sure you shadow 100 hours to see if it's for you.

6. DiNoZeRo2o9

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Don't go into the dental field as a back-up.

7. DentalRocks09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    u got a shot...dont trip..i had similar numbers if not worse and i got in...so just make sure u apply to schools u think u have a realistic shot at making in

8. AggieDDS

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    LOL owned. :eek:

FYI, Avg GPA for Dent > Avg GPA for D.O.

Go back to D.O. :rolleyes:

9. IDoWhatIWant

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Oh! I'm lovin this.

10. DocVT

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    A 3.3 is a good GPA, especially for UNC (I went there too). Just make sure you get a 20 on the DAT and you will have interviews.

11. DGDDS

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Since you're an NC resident and you're super close to the (currently) only dental school in the state - march yourself down to the dental school and talk to someone in admissions! Dean Guckes (who is stepping down after this admissions cycle to be replaced by Dr. Wilder, but he is still a wealth of info) can answer questions about your GPA and ECs and things you might do to improve your application. He'll also be able to answer the genetics question (though personally I would say no since we don't really use genetics a lot.. or at all..).
    And good luck studying for the DAT! Concentrate on rocking that and you'll have a good shot!