What are my chances? Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spades455

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from college last May with a double major (5 years). My GPA is 3.09 and science GPA is 2.89. I had a very rough time adjusting to the difficulty my first couple of years and the last years of my university were better but not straight As.

Research experience: 1.5 yrs

Right now my plan is to study the MCAT and take it in April/May and then apply in the fall. In the meantime I would also do some clinical volunteer activity. My question is would I be able to get in anywhere with my GPA as it is? Since I've already done a lot of units in school I really don't want to take more classes since I don't think it would help my GPA much. What should I do??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I graduated from UC Berkeley last May with a double major in Chemical Biology and Molecular and Cell Biology (5 years). My GPA is 3.09 and science GPA is 2.89. I had a very rough time adjusting to the difficulty my first couple of years and the last years of my university were better but not straight As.

Research experience: 1.5 yrs studying biofuels at energy institute on campus

ECs: I was active in my professional fraternity and held several officer positions including president. Over the summer after my sophomore year I interned at a cancer research center.

Right now my plan is to study the MCAT and take it in April/May and then apply in the fall. In the meantime I would also do some clinical volunteer activity. My question is would I be able to get in anywhere with my GPA as it is? Since I've already done a lot of units in school I really don't want to take more classes since I don't think it would help my GPA much. What should I do??
What grades did you get in the prerequisites?
What upper-level Bio did you take and what grades were earned?
What was your cGPA each term of the last two years?
Did you include your math grades in the sGPA you gave (like AAMCAS will)?
Did you retake any classes?
Are you aware that AACOMAS DO schools have a grade forgiveness policy, namely, if you retake for the same credits or greater, only the most recent counts?
What are your priorities: the cheapest way to become competitive for any school, the most sure way to appeal to MD schools, the quickest way to get in anywhere, or what?

What grades did you get in the prerequisites?
What upper-level Bio did you take and what grades were earned?
What was your cGPA each term of the last two years?
Did you include your math grades in the sGPA you gave (like AAMCAS will)?
Did you retake any classes?
Are you aware that AACOMAS DO schools have a grade forgiveness policy, namely, if you retake for the same credits or greater, only the most recent counts?
What are your priorities: the cheapest way to become competitive for any school, the most sure way to appeal to MD schools, the quickest way to get in anywhere, or what?

For my prereqs, I got:
Gen Chem: C+ and C
Org Chem: C and C-
Physics: B and C
Calculus: B
Multivar Calculus: B-
Bio 1A: D (retook to get an A)
Bio 1B: B

My upper-level bio courses were:
Chemical Biology B+
Inorganic Chemistry A
Molecular Biology: Macromolecular Synthesis and Cellular Function C+
Microbial Diversity A
Developmental Biology B
Evolution B-
Genetics, Genomics, and Cell Biology A
Genetics Lab B-
Basis of Behavior C

The cGPAs for my last two years were 3.5, 3.29, 3.2, 2.69.

I did include my math grades for my sGPA. The only course I retook was Bio 1A. I got a D in that class and retook and got an A. I am aware of how AACOMAS GPA is calculated. When I calculated my sGPA with that method it was 2.92.

If I had to sum up my priority it would be the quickest way to get in anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
For my prereqs, I got:
Gen Chem: C+ and C
Org Chem: C and C-
Physics: B and C
Calculus: B
Multivar Calculus: B-
Bio 1A: D (retook to get an A)
Bio 1B: B

My upper-level bio courses were:
Chemical Biology B+
Inorganic Chemistry A
Molecular Biology: Macromolecular Synthesis and Cellular Function C+
Microbial Diversity A
Developmental Biology B
Evolution B-
Genetics, Genomics, and Cell Biology A
Genetics Lab B-
Basis of Behavior C

The cGPAs for my last two years were 3.5, 3.29, 3.2, 2.69.

I did include my math grades for my sGPA. The only course I retook was Bio 1A. I got a D in that class and retook and got an A. I am aware of how AACOMAS GPA is calculated. When I calculated my sGPA with that method it was 2.92.

If I had to sum up my priority it would be the quickest way to get in anywhere.
I think that your best bet would be to aim for AACOMAS DO schools, retake some of those Cs, especially the C-, and boost your GPA via grade replacement with As. Considering that you seem to have ended on a downward note, this will also help to establish an upward grade trend. Retaking will also solidify the concepts so you're more likely to do well on the MCAT.

You might look at the sticky at the top of this forum called "Read Before Posting" to get the AACOMAS GPA calculator so you can figure out how many grades you'd need to replace with As to get your sGPA (no math included for AACOMAS) above a 3.3 or so.

Other rules for grade replacement: Need not be at the same school. Need not have the same course title provided the course content is similar per the course catalogs. And to emphasize, the credit hours must be the same or greater.

Also important to know: DO schools have less bias against CC credits if cash is short. But obviously, the more rigorous the coursework, the better your MCAT prep will be.

JMO.

I've heard a few of my friends in this same position, and they're doing post-bac's or SMPs to help get in.

With that GPA you are NOT competetive for any MD program, even with a 45 on the MCAT. I doubt that you'd even get into any of the newest DO programs.

However, grade replacement with the goal of getting your GPA >3.0 will get you into a number of DO programs.

I graduated from UC Berkeley last May with a double major in Chemical Biology and Molecular and Cell Biology (5 years). My GPA is 3.09 and science GPA is 2.89. I had a very rough time adjusting to the difficulty my first couple of years and the last years of my university were better but not straight As.

Research experience: 1.5 yrs studying biofuels at energy institute on campus

ECs: I was active in my professional fraternity and held several officer positions including president. Over the summer after my sophomore year I interned at a cancer research center.

With that GPA you are NOT competetive for any MD program, even with a 45 on the MCAT. I doubt that you'd even get into any of the newest DO programs.

However, grade replacement with the goal of getting your GPA >3.0 will get you into a number of DO programs.

My advisor (at an MD institution) jokingly told me if I got a 45 I might get an interview there.

But yeah, you're not helping yourself with that GPA, particularly your sGPA. Retake your pre-reqs.

I think that your best bet would be to aim for AACOMAS DO schools, retake some of those Cs, especially the C-, and boost your GPA via grade replacement with As. Considering that you seem to have ended on a downward note, this will also help to establish an upward grade trend. Retaking will also solidify the concepts so you're more likely to do well on the MCAT.

You might look at the sticky at the top of this forum called "Read Before Posting" to get the AACOMAS GPA calculator so you can figure out how many grades you'd need to replace with As to get your sGPA (no math included for AACOMAS) above a 3.3 or so.

Other rules for grade replacement: Need not be at the same school. Need not have the same course title provided the course content is similar per the course catalogs. And to emphasize, the credit hours must be the same or greater.

Also important to know: DO schools have less bias against CC credits if cash is short. But obviously, the more rigorous the coursework, the better your MCAT prep will be.

JMO.

I see. Do I need to do a post bacc or SMP program or can I just take the classes at a local community college?

I see. Do I need to do a post bacc or SMP program or can I just take the classes at a local community college?
Depending on the financial resources available to you, you could engage in a formal (usually expensive) postbacc GPA-boosting program (which also gets you excellent advising resources, access to terrific LORs, and EC opportunities) or you could do-it-yourself at a local CC or 4-year school.