Aquarius9017

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I am planning to apply to DO schools this cycle but i want to be realistic as to what my chances are of actually getting accepted into medical school.

Th following are my stats:

MCAT score 496
URM (Mexican American)
sGPA 3.89
overall non-science 3.47
overall undergraduate GPA 3.69 (I'm not sure if non-science or overall undergraduate is looked at)
Completed my undergraduate studies in NC, currently reside in CA.
I participated in research, both at my institution and at an REU experience at another university. I presented my findings at two national conferences.
I was a scribe for more than a year (>2000 hours), volunteered at a blood bank (>200 hours), shadowed several primary care doctors each for at least 100 hours, tutored at my uni and elementary/middle school students after I graduated from college. I currently work as a clinical research analyst for a pharmaceutical company.

Jul 13, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
How many times have you tackled the MCAT? Take it again! Score over 505 and you're more than golden! You could apply to some schools accepting low MCAT', but I would start studying now for a retake

OP
Aquarius9017

Aquarius9017

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2017
Status
How many times have you tackled the MCAT? Take it again! Score over 505 and you're more than golden! You could apply to some schools accepting low MCAT', but I would start studying now for a retake
I have taken it only once.

About the Ads

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I am planning to apply to DO schools this cycle but i want to be realistic as to what my chances are of actually getting accepted into medical school.

Th following are my stats:

MCAT score 496
URM (Mexican American)
sGPA 3.89
overall non-science 3.47
overall undergraduate GPA 3.69 (I'm not sure if non-science or overall undergraduate is looked at)
Completed my undergraduate studies in NC, currently reside in CA.
I participated in research, both at my institution and at an REU experience at another university. I presented my findings at two national conferences.
I was a scribe for more than a year (>2000 hours), volunteered at a blood bank (>200 hours), shadowed several primary care doctors each for at least 100 hours, tutored at my uni and elementary/middle school students after I graduated from college. I currently work as a clinical research analyst for a pharmaceutical company.
You could definitely apply broadly focusing on newer schools and have a good chance as is. With that said man I agree with the above poster, if you have a retake in you I would go for it. A 505+ and you would be highly competitive at all DO and some MD schools too.

OP
Aquarius9017

Aquarius9017

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2017
Status
You could definitely apply broadly focusing on newer schools and have a good chance as is. With that said man I agree with the above poster, if you have a retake in you I would go for it. A 505+ and you would be highly competitive at all DO and some MD schools too.
I was thinking of submitting primaries to BCOM, ACOM, VCOM, and LECOM. Are there any others you suggest I add to this list?

I was thinking of retaking the exam again in January but many schools will not accept a score taken by then, and for the ones that will, I'm afraid that it will be too late in the cycle to turn in applications and still have a shot at getting accepted this cycle.

radian313

7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I was thinking of submitting primaries to BCOM, ACOM, VCOM, and LECOM. Are there any others you suggest I add to this list?

I was thinking of retaking the exam again in January but many schools will not accept a score taken by then, and for the ones that will, I'm afraid that it will be too late in the cycle to turn in applications and still have a shot at getting accepted this cycle.
Wvsom. People have gotten in with that mcat, but with exceptional backgrounds.

Reactions: Aquarius9017

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status

ARCOM and CUCOM, maybe WCUCOM. I agree with the other guys apply to WVSOM.

Are you dead set on this cycle? Again if you could take mcat again next spring and do reasonably well (505), and apply early, you'd be competitive everywhere.

OP
Aquarius9017

Aquarius9017

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2017
Status
ARCOM and CUCOM, maybe WCUCOM. I agree with the other guys apply to WVSOM.

Are you dead set on this cycle? Again if you could take mcat again next spring and do reasonably well (505), and apply early, you'd be competitive everywhere.
Sort of yeah, I feel like I'm getting old and not getting anywhere in life. I forgot to include on my original post that I graduated from college back in 2014, so I sort of don't want to waste any more time, but if my chances look very slim this I can always hold on for one more year and study my a** off for the MCAT. I just hate to think that I have to take that darn thing all over again. It is a beast lol.

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Sort of yeah, I feel like I'm getting old and not getting anywhere in life. I forgot to include on my original post that I graduated from college back in 2014, so I sort of don't want to waste any more time, but if my chances look very slim this I can always hold on for one more year and study my a** off for the MCAT. I just hate to think that I have to take that darn thing all over again. It is a beast lol.
Yea it sucks and I graduated in 2016 so I hear you. If you're cool with that list of schools go for it. If you're not then retake the MCAT and become competitive everywhere. I do think you have a chance at getting in as is though.

good luck man.

OP
Aquarius9017

Aquarius9017

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2017
Status
Yea it sucks and I graduated in 2016 so I hear you. If you're cool with that list of schools go for it. If you're not then retake the MCAT and become competitive everywhere. I do think you have a chance at getting in as is though.

good luck man.
Thank you, and I do hope I get in somewhere but if I don't then I know exactly what I have to do to improve my chances.

Thanks again, and good luck to you as well!!

Deecee2DO

Medical Student
2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2015
New Jersey
Status
Medical Student
If you apply broadly (~20 schools) to DO schools only you have a chance of getting in somewhere IMO. MD is out of the question with a 496. MD is definitely an option if you raise that MCAT to a 505-506+. So it depends if you want DO or MD. Most adcoms on here will suggest a re-take to play it safe which is always smart, but I really think that you have a shot somewhere if you apply to newer schools. Depends on if you want to go into a competitive specialty or not and the residency options you want. Also, it depends if you are a more self-directed learner. Some of the newer schools don't have curricula that are as established and also don't have as strong connections with top residency programs. If you want to go into specialties like Ortho, ENT, Derm, Plastics etc. then, re-take and go MD. However, I repeat APPLY BROADLY. You have to apply broadly, and also make sure you apply to your state schools. You are URM and have a very high sGPA and great ECs to make up for it. 496 is pretty low but you will get some love somewhere (the past two years, since it opened it's doors, ARCOM has been notorious for accepting students with sub-500 MCATs). I interviewed there. I got into a top DO school with a 497, but only because I was in-state (they have a huge in-state bias), have a DC degree, a 3.7 sGPA in all upper level sciences, 2000+ hours clinical experience as a clinician, 500+ tutoring/leadership hrs etc. The newer schools will likely interview you (ARCOM, ACOM, NYIT-AR, BCOM, UIWSOM). If you have an MCAT score that is that low, you pretty much have to be perfect in all other aspects on paper, which you are. Good luck! Keep me posted

canadian1287

2+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2016

umgoblue2008

2+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2015
Status
Lmao, I'm 32 and starting medical school next fall. I understand you feel like you are not getting anywhere. My advice is to take your time and do it right, you only get to go through this once. We are all going to end in the same place, its the path that you take that gives it meaning.

About the Ads