what are my chances? low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiara1224

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I just got my sep2 MCAT score today. I applied to 20+ schools MD/PhD programs and not sure whether I should proceed or not.
My stats are:
MCAT: 506 (128/125/127/126) sadly
GPA: s 3.79 a 3.6
Research: 4 years 1 first author paper and multiple co-author ones
1 year volunteer and 2day Physician shadow.
Post-bacc at UPenn still taking classes.
I submitted my primary on Aug 2nd and everything completed Oct.3rd(because of MCAT). I know I'm super late in this cycle and my MCAT sucks. Any suggestions for this cycle? How long is the general waiting time for II, no II yet? Should I just retake my MCAT and apply next year?
Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

dude ill be honest i think u need to retake the mcat and get atleast 510+ to have a shot at an mdphd

Reactions: 1 user
dude ill be honest i think u need to retake the mcat and get atleast 510+ to have a shot at an mdphd
Thank you, I think you are right, I'll register for MCAT 2018 once it opens up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the top programs will probably screen you out due to the numbers... I'm not sure if it would be worth it financially to pay for secondaries... If you are financially okay and since you already applied, I would say to give it a shot? If not you can always try again next year. Good luck with everything!

Thank you, I think you are right, I'll register for MCAT 2018 once it opens up.
Don't get me wrong cuz your app looks solid otherwise. Just need to do well on the mcat and you'll be set

I agree that at this late point, it may be better to think about other cycles. Really, I would advise this for almost everyone who has applied so late, considering that many institutions have given out at least 50% of their interview slots already (just an estimate, but also based on what my institution has done in other years). Even if you are a perfect rockstar candidate, you've automatically left dramatically less chances for you to get in somewhere just based on the lower number of spots for which you are competing, but this is especially true if your application has a few blemishes in terms of stats.

Your research experience seems excellent -- a great, long period of time and some papers to show for it as a bonus (so assuming you will get a good letter and you've done much of the work on your own, this is an awesome plus!). Nice work!! Ordinarily, if everything else on your application is strong, your MCAT score is not an "end-all" that would stop you from getting in to an MD/PhD program. I don't want to suggest that it's easy to get into an MD/PhD program with a lower MCAT score because it was definitely an uphill battle for me personally and for some of my peers who had lower scores, and you will still get screened out by most of the top MSTPs. Still, it's very possible to gain admission with an MCAT score around yours, especially when programs no longer have to report MCAT scores and are more focused on GPA. However, in my experience, the key to succeeding with a lower MCAT score is being one of the first applications that programs see and making sure all of the other details are perfect. The odds are already a little stacked against you, so the late application really makes it tough.

If you can re-take the MCAT and score a bit higher, you'll increase your chances of getting into even more competitive programs. But even applying earlier with what you have would give you a fair shot at some MD/PhD programs, in my opinion.

Good luck!

I think the top programs will probably screen you out due to the numbers... I'm not sure if it would be worth it financially to pay for secondaries... If you are financially okay and since you already applied, I would say to give it a shot? If not you can always try again next year. Good luck with everything!
Thank you, I have received all secondaries so far except for UCSF and UCLA, I know they screen heavily. I will try my best this year and if it didn't work out then definitely get a better MCAT next year.

I agree that at this late point, it may be better to think about other cycles. Really, I would advise this for almost everyone who has applied so late, considering that many institutions have given out at least 50% of their interview slots already (just an estimate, but also based on what my institution has done in other years). Even if you are a perfect rockstar candidate, you've automatically left dramatically less chances for you to get in somewhere just based on the lower number of spots for which you are competing, but this is especially true if your application has a few blemishes in terms of stats.

Your research experience seems excellent -- a great, long period of time and some papers to show for it as a bonus (so assuming you will get a good letter and you've done much of the work on your own, this is an awesome plus!). Nice work!! Ordinarily, if everything else on your application is strong, your MCAT score is not an "end-all" that would stop you from getting in to an MD/PhD program. I don't want to suggest that it's easy to get into an MD/PhD program with a lower MCAT score because it was definitely an uphill battle for me personally and for some of my peers who had lower scores, and you will still get screened out by most of the top MSTPs. Still, it's very possible to gain admission with an MCAT score around yours, especially when programs no longer have to report MCAT scores and are more focused on GPA. However, in my experience, the key to succeeding with a lower MCAT score is being one of the first applications that programs see and making sure all of the other details are perfect. The odds are already a little stacked against you, so the late application really makes it tough.

If you can re-take the MCAT and score a bit higher, you'll increase your chances of getting into even more competitive programs. But even applying earlier with what you have would give you a fair shot at some MD/PhD programs, in my opinion.

Good luck!
Thank you for your advice! I see some hope in there. Hopefully, my research experience will be able to get my foot in the door for this cycle. If not, next year I will come early.

I think an MCAT above 512 would really improve your app. The most important part of your app - research - is stronger than most, which is great but 506 is pretty below average for MD/PhD. Not *impossible* mind you, because I've seen people with rly strong research but low scores get in, but a lot harder.

Retake, apply early.

Reactions: 1 user
I think an MCAT above 512 would really improve your app. The most important part of your app - research - is stronger than most, which is great but 506 is pretty below average for MD/PhD. Not *impossible* mind you, because I've seen people with rly strong research but low scores get in, but a lot harder.

Retake, apply early.
Thank you, I agree. I just don't want to go through another round of MCAT, but I guess I have to. No pain no gain. First rejection from Penn State lol.

Thank you, I agree. I just don't want to go through another round of MCAT, but I guess I have to. No pain no gain. First rejection from Penn State lol.

I've taken the McAT so I wouldn't wish a retake on anyone unless I thought it would really help lol. This cycle isn't over yet tho!