What are my chances M3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seek out programs that 1) take DOs and 2) have taken graduates from your DO school in recent memory (3-4 years or so). If you don't see any DOs when you look at current residents, I'd think twice before wasting your time and $$ (even with very high scores). The 225 won't help with the majority of academic programs, but community and off-the-beaten-path academic places may be in reach. It might be an uphill climb, so consider doing an away or two at a program you are particularly interested in (and is within reach).

Also consider taking Step 2 this summer before application season with the aim of having an improved score. But beware and take the test seriously, because a lower score could be a real issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
@AdmiralChz would what you say hold true for a US grad in a similar situation as well?

In general, DOs need higher metrics and better performance to match into an allopathic residency than MDs. I have some truly excellent DO colleagues and it’s not knock on them at all, it’s a fact.

That being said, coming from an MD school you may have a home program that’ll be a little more lenient with your scores - since you’ll rotate with them and get to know them. Still, mid 220s will get you filtered out of many programs but others are definitely within reach. So the same advice applies (apply broadly, do well on Step 2), with the exception of working your home program if applicable.

Are you saying my step 1 is too low to match? This is kinda worrisome. I mean the charting outcome says that 210-220, 134/137 matched, and for 220-230, 231/231 matched.... If I look on the DO charting outcome, it says for my comlex, 37/38 matched (I know the DO charting outcome is kinda meaningless if applying for ACGME). Is there something I'm missing?

You asked for “academic programs with fellowships” (pretty broad statement) which will in general be a harder get than community-based. If you apply broadly you’ll have a much better chance than if you only hit NE academics but I do not have a crystal ball.

Lol you know DO schools are in the US, right fam?

US grad means MD as in Charting the Outcomes. It's an inferior degree and everyone knows it. Yeah you can get to the same place and have the same earning potential. But many places don't even interview them because they don't need to.

Any questions can be directed to current ms4s at DO schools trying to break into MD residencies.

No one will match in Gas this year! Trolllllll!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Just a guess based on my limited experience, but I think you'd be able to get 5 interviews, possibly a couple more. I'll share my experience with slightly higher stats just to give you an idea of where you stand. USMLE 1: 230-235, USMLE 2: 230-235, COMLEX 1: 550-600, COMLEX 2: 600-650. I applied to 45 programs (all anesthesiology, all categorical) and have been offered 10+ interviews at this point. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 2 users
you'll get in somewhere

Just a guess based on my limited experience, but I think you'd be able to get 5 interviews, possibly a couple more. I'll share my experience with slightly higher stats just to give you an idea of where you stand. USMLE 1: 230-235, USMLE 2: 230-235, COMLEX 1: 550-600, COMLEX 2: 600-650. I applied to 45 programs (all anesthesiology, all categorical) and have been offered 10+ interviews at this point. Hope that helps.

M3 here. Congrats on the interviews.

Do you think I'd be able to land a desirable location if I was ~ +10 higher on Step 1 and +50 on comelx

Do you think I'd be able to land a desirable location if I was ~ +10 higher on Step 1 and +50 on comelx
Depends on your definition of desirable. Eg. If it’s Southern California, it’ll still be real tough. Possible but tough.

Depends on your definition of desirable. Eg. If it’s Southern California, it’ll still be real tough. Possible but tough.

If my user name didn't give it away, yes I'd love to get back to socal ha...

Anything i can do to increase those odds?

I'm from the east coast and didn't apply to any programs in California, so I'm not the best to ask. However, you'll have no trouble getting interviews with those stats. Still be sure to apply to a few low/mid tier programs though. Have your application complete as early as possible. Best of luck.

I'm from the east coast and didn't apply to any programs in California, so I'm not the best to ask. However, you'll have no trouble getting interviews with those stats. Still be sure to apply to a few low/mid tier programs though. Have your application complete as early as possible. Best of luck.
Not necessarily. My friend only got interviews from Davis and Loma Linda with ~260 on both USMLEs as far as California goes. But n=1 so take it with a grain of salt.

Crushing Step 2 and interviews I suppose. Most CA programs are also academic so research probably helps a bit.

FWIW every single DO anesthesiologist that I’ve met in my corner of SoCal came through the US Navy.

Also, if you don’t happen to match into a residency in SoCal, getting ANY fellowship in the area postresidency will help you make connnections. Go to the best/biggest name residency you can and if you do well there, I don’t think it’ll matter much whether you’re a DO or MD.

Last edited: