What are my chances? MCAT 520 (130/128/131/131) GPA 3.85 Double Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jvy

Reaction score
As it says in the title, I've got a 3.85 cumulative GPA, very balanced between science and non-science (maybe a 3.9 non-sci and a 3.8 science? not sure). I'm also a double major in philosophy and biology.

I participated in for-credit research on campus for a year, and have done a summer internship doing clinical research. I did a semestering study at Oxford, and have in the 300-400 hour range of clinical volunteering/shadowing. I have a decent bit of other volunteer work (including tutoring prisoners in a correctional facility), have never not gotten the Dean's List, and am an Eagle Scout, on top of some other stuff that's probably not as important

I only finally submitted my secondaries about 2 weeks ago, however. Here is my list. How are my chances with my late submission?

Brown
Columbia
Harvard
Cornell
BU
Mt. Sinai
Albert Einstein
NYU
NJMS
Robert Wood Johnson

Members don't see this ad.

As it says in the title, I've got a 3.85 cumulative GPA, very balanced between science and non-science (maybe a 3.9 non-sci and a 3.8 science? not sure). I'm also a double major in philosophy and biology.

I participated in for-credit research on campus for a year, and have done a summer internship doing clinical research. I did a semestering study at Oxford, and have in the 300-400 hour range of clinical volunteering/shadowing. I have a decent bit of other volunteer work (including tutoring prisoners in a correctional facility), have never not gotten the Dean's List, and am an Eagle Scout, on top of some other stuff that's probably not as important

I only finally submitted my secondaries about 2 weeks ago, however. Here is my list. How are my chances with my late submission?

Brown
Columbia
Harvard
Cornell
BU
Mt. Sinai
Albert Einstein
NYU
NJMS
Robert Wood Johnson

You've got excellent stats and ECs, only marred a bit by a late application. I've seen people with similar stats get in with a late app so you still have a chance. Given that MD schools are allowed to give their first acceptances a week from today, some schools may have already given out a majority of their interviews but you may attract enough attention to get interviews. But start working with mentors and professors on interviewing practice so you'll be ready for them.

You can check the school-specific threads to see if your schools are still sending out interviews.

I'm assuming that you're still in school, work on enhancing your resume for next year in case you have to reapply and submit on day 1 to a wider range of schools. But I hope it won't come to that.

Thank you for the response! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad :)
As has been said, you've got excellent stats. But you've also got a very late application and a very small school list with a lot of schools that are reach-for-everybody caliber. If you don't make it this year, that will be why...

What is your financial situation? And would a full scholarship to your state school vs. you pay full cost influence your thinking?

Financial situation is, thankfully, very good. Family will put me through school anywhere I go.

Brown
Columbia
Harvard
Cornell
BU
Mt. Sinai
Albert Einstein
NYU
NJMS
Robert Wood Johnson
Chances best with the NJ schools!

Commenting so that I stay updated on the thread. Please share if you got accepted when the answers come!