What are my chances / next step

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tboa21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I need advice on my next steps to matriculation into medical school. I am a first generation URM (black male). Father finished high school only, mother did not finish high school due to teenage pregnancy. Grew up in poverty. I don’t need anyone to sugarcoat anything, just give me the hard facts.

I will be a non traditional applicant in the sense that it took me 6 years to graduate with a biology degree and a double minor in psychology and sociology. My first 3 and a half years in school were horrible. The following are my bad grades in my first 3 1/2 yrs.
D in biology 101. I retook it and had a C. F in genetics. Retook for a B. F in gen Chem 2 and gen Chem Lab. Retook for Bs in them. F in organic chemistry 1 and a withdrawal in orgo Lab. F in physics 1 retook for a B and F in physics 1 Lab. C in intro to Bio lab. C in cellular biology. This was all within my 3 1/2 years.

In the following semester marking the start of my 4th year, drastic things happened in my life I feel like would make for a compelling personal statement. I had an A in organic chemistry, A in orgo 1 lab, A in biochemistry, A in orgo 2, in orgo 2 lab, A in human physiology, A in phys Lab, A in physics 2, A in physics 2 lab, A in calculus, A in Statistics A. in cellular biology. Since my 4th year, I was always on the deans list minimum (3.75 gpa) and my last 3 semesters I had 4.0s. Extremely high upper trend. I became a TA for organic chemistry for 5 semesters and for Cellular biology albeit just for 1 semester ( I didn’t really feel like I was making an impact) . I also became a tutor for organic chem. I did research for 1 and a half years, presented a poster at a well known annual convention hosted By my school. I also tutored inner city black kids for a year and helped with college applications. And I amassed an absurd amount of shadowing hours (600+), have good volunteer hours at a dialysis center (200+), and good clinical hours. I do believe my recommendations will be top notch but who knows.

I graduated with a 3.65 but my school does grade replacement. In the AMCAS gpa calculator, I have a 3.16 cumulative with a 2.6 science gpa. I took over 60 credits and over 35 science credits my last 3 1/2 years and even with grade replacement I good barely get over the 3.0 cum mark and I guess my Fs made it hard to move my science gpa.

My MCAT is a 518. I really want to apply for 2022 matriculation because a masters is soooooo expensive. I need some advice. And maybe some schools. I know there is nothing wrong about DO but I haven’t shadowed a DO nor do I want to do DO. I want MD. Pls help.

Members don't see this ad.

With an MCAT like that AND as an URM, you will likely be able to any school you like. That GPA, however, will likely make everything fall apart, especially for MD. I'm not too familiar with what options are available, but what about doing a post-bacc?

With an MCAT like that AND as an URM, you will likely be able to any school you like. That GPA, however, will likely make everything fall apart, especially for MD. I'm not too familiar with what options are available, but what about doing a post-bacc?
I thought about it. It’s not out of the question. My main concern with that is the fact that I have completed most of not all of the courses they offer at a post bac with an A actually. Would I still be allowed to take them?

I thought about it. It’s not out of the question. My main concern with that is the fact that I have completed most of not all of the courses they offer at a post bac with an A actually. Would I still be allowed to take them?
you still will be allowed to take them, however I would say with your level of education, maybe consider doing an SMP? I feel like Georgetown's masters would be well suited for you, it's a one year program and they have guaranteed interviews for people who maintain a certain GPA. Other than that I think Meharry has some solid programs as well. I do think you have a solid MCAT and an upward trend and if you make a compelling personal statement + a masters or post bacc you'll get in, best of luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.