What are my chances non trad trying to make up for past mistakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dochopeful 12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I graduated in 05 with a BA in poly sci. I took very few science classes in my first degree but freshman year being an immature kid I failed college algebra and into to bio. Since going to back to school I have received A's in all these science classes

A Anatomy and Physiology 1
A Anatomy and Physiology 2
A Microbiology
A in both chem 1 and 2
A in orgo 1 and 2
A in physics 1 and 2
A in General Bio
A in biochemistry
A in stats
A in college algebra
A in neuroscience

Even with all of these A's those two F's freshman year are killing my GPA
Overall 3.4 and science 3.4

Do I have any chance at MD schools with my strong uptrend in the sciences? I am going to retake MCAT in Aug and I have been getting a 34 on practice tests. I have strong EC's i have been working as CNA in an emergency room for three years now. I live in Illinois so I am planning to apply to all Illinois school plus Drexel.

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I graduated in 05 with a BA in poly sci. I took very few science classes in my first degree but freshman year being an immature kid I failed college algebra and into to bio. Since going to back to school I have received A's in all these science classes

A Anatomy and Physiology 1
A Anatomy and Physiology 2
A Microbiology
A in both chem 1 and 2
A in orgo 1 and 2
A in physics 1 and 2
A in General Bio
A in biochemistry
A in stats
A in college algebra
A in neuroscience

Even with all of these A's those two F's freshman year are killing my GPA
Overall 3.4 and science 3.4

Do I have any chance at MD schools with my strong uptrend in the sciences? I am going to retake MCAT in Aug and I have been getting a 34 on practice tests. I have strong EC's i have been working as CNA in an emergency room for three years now. I live in Illinois so I am planning to apply to all Illinois school plus Drexel.

Thank you for your help.

I think you have a shot at MD schools. You retook those classes and got As. Plus all the other As you have, I think the upward trend will win you favors. Are you applying this cycle? IF not, you can also take a few more math classes to prove yourself and raise your gpa, although I don't think it's necessary. Apply broadly, and you have a good chance, imo.

Hi! I was in a similar situation when I started as a post-bac. My cGPA was a 3.2 and I brought it up to a 3.5. I think you should get a hold of an online version of the MSAR and look at the schools with lower GPA ranges. Some that come to mind are Tulane and Eastern Virginia with 10-90th percentiles between 3.15-3.9. With a good MCAT you'll definitely have a shot at MD schools. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Science grades look great. Upward trends always look good. Overall GPA is still slightly below average but not sure what Illinois school stats are like. I would encourage you to broaden your school list so that your chances improve during the cycle. A strong MCAT is a must to be competitive for MD.

You said that you will be retaking the MCAT, how did you perform on the first one?