MD & DO What are my chances? Non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SavoirFaire87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'd like to know my chances for MD and DO programs. Thanks for your help!

Year in school: Graduated 2010 from a top 3 college, philosophy major

Country/state of residence: Illinois (have lived in central IL for the past four years and lived in Chicago before that)

Schools to which you are applying: U of Illinois, Southern Illinois, others?

Cumulative GPA: 3.4 (not counting post-bacc courses)

Science GPA: 3.9+ (these are all of the post-bacc courses)

MCAT Score: No MCAT score yet. Yeah, I know. Late in the cycle.

Research: 1,500 hours, developmental psychology lab. Not published.

Volunteering (clinical): 700 hours in two EDs and a children's hospital

Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties: 35 hours inpatient psychiatry and 25 hours inpatient neurology

Non-clinical volunteering: None.

Employment history: Since I am 7 years out of college, I have an extensive employment history. The clinical employment I have is 500 hours as a standardized patient and 5,000 as a scribe (including chief scribe).

Members don't see this ad.

Taking the MCAT in August. Practice scores overall have been decent (85th percentile).

Members don't see this ad :)
You will not receive your scores until September which is late for a MD application. By the time you submit your secondaries and your application is reviewed half the interview slots will already be taken.

I know. That is my fear. I have already submitted my AMCAS application, minus the MCAT score, obviously, in hopes that I can get something. Bad idea?

Hopefully you will score 508 or higher. You could add schools such as Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, Rush, Medical College Wisconsin, St. Louis, Oakland Beaumont now and then add others in September when you know your score. Post your score here when available. What was your cGPA and sGPA in your submitted application? Submit your secondaries by late July.