DO What are my chances now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chromatic543

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently, I made a WAMC thread, but have had a few updates. These are my stats, unfortunately:

cGPA 3.20
sGPA 3.21
MCAT 502 (126-124-126-126)
Residence California
Degree: Biochemistry
cGPA (if retakes were counted) 3.38
sGPA (if retakes were counted) 3.40
2 Science letters of recommendation
1 non-science letter of recommendation
1 DO Physician letter
500 hours of taking care of disabled/elderly patients
400 hours of hospital volunteering
Medical club/trip to Honduras to work in a rural clinic
Orphanage volunteering
Allopathic Internal Medicine shadowing
Osteopathic Internal Medicine shadowing
Some medical clinic office volunteering including taking vital signs, checking patients in, etc.
Ethnicity: Pacific Islander

GRADE UPWARD TREND

Freshman cGPA/sGPA = 2.55/2.19
Sophomore cGPA/sGPA = 3.33/3.54
Junior cGPA/sGPA = 3.32/3.11
Senior cGPA/sGPA = 3.61/3.53

These are the schools I have applied to:

A.T. Still-Kirkville (Received Secondary)
A.T. Still-Arizona (Received Secondary)
ACOM (Received Secondary)
BCOM (Received Secondary)
Campbell (Received Secondary)
DMU (Submitted fully)
Edward Via Auburn (Waiting for secondary)
Edward Via Carolinas (Waiting for secondary)
Edward Via Virginia (Waiting for secondary)
KCU-COM (Received Secondary)
LECOM Erie (Submitted fully)
LECOM Brandenton (Received Secondary)
LMU-DeBusk (Waiting for secondary)
MUCOM (Received Secondary)
NYIT (Submitted fully)
NSUCOM (Submitted fully)
Ohio (Received Secondary)
OSU-COM (Received Secondary)
Pacific Northwest (Received Secondary)
PCOM (Received Secondary)
PCOM-Georgia (Received Secondary)
RVUCOM-UTAH (Submitted fully)
RVUCOM-Colorado (Received Secondary)
Touro-NY (Waiting for Secondary)
Touro-Nevada (Received Secondary)
Touro-California (Submitted fully)
UIWSOM (Received Secondary)
WVSOM (Waiting for Secondary)
Western-Pacific Northwest (Submitted fully)
Western-Pomona (Received Secondary)
WCUCOM (Received Secondary)

Do you think I have a chance? What advice can you give me? I am extremely nervous right now!

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine with that many schools. Your MCAT is right at the average for matriculants and your GPA is a little lower. You could save a little money and delete Ohio, OSU-COM, UIWSOM. They accept very little out of state. You need to be quicker with you secondary turn around. If you've already received that many secondaries then you were probably verified a week ago. Don't let your secondaries sit more than a week. Gyngyn has stated that he views applicants that wait more than one week as less enthusiastic about his school. Write all of your essays in Word. That way you can copy and paste them into other secondaries.

I have similar stats to yours and I already have an II. You'll be fine.

You should be fine with that many schools. Your MCAT is right at the average for matriculants and your GPA is a little lower. You could save a little money and delete Ohio, OSU-COM, UIWSOM. They accept very little out of state. You need to be quicker with you secondary turn around. If you've already received that many secondaries then you were probably verified a week ago. Don't let your secondaries sit more than a week. Gyngyn has stated that he views applicants that wait more than one week as less enthusiastic about his school. Write all of your essays in Word. That way you can copy and paste them into other secondaries.

Thanks for your reply! I will get right to it! I hope you don't mind me asking, but what is the difference between "secondary" and II? Also, the only reason my secondaries are taking so long, is because my DO letter writer is taking so long getting my letter to me! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
A secondary is the app that schools send you. II means interview invite. The order goes:
1) Primary is sent to schools
2) Schools send you a secondary (you should get one from every school you sent a primary to)
3) Schools (most) will email you or update your portal when they are reviewing your app
4) Schools send you an email with an interview invite and the days that you can pick to interview
5) After your interview, within two weeks, schools will email you letting you know if you were accepted, wait-listed or rejected.
6) Become a doctor

A secondary is the app that schools send you. II means interview invite. The order goes:
1) Primary is sent to schools
2) Schools send you a secondary (you should get one from every school you sent a primary to)
3) Schools (most) will email you or update your portal when they are reviewing your app
4) Schools send you an email with an interview invite and the days that you can pick to interview
5) After your interview, within two weeks, schools will email you letting you know if you were accepted, wait-listed or rejected.
6) Become a doctor

Haha I got it now! I read "II" as the roman number "two."

Reactions: 1 user
You have a good list and should receive several interviews.

Delete Ohio and OSU; they have heavy in-state bias.

Keep UIWSOM; even though it's in Texas, it's a private school. It does not have a quota of IS matriculants to satisfy.

Keep UIWSOM; even though it's in Texas, it's a private school. It does not have a quota of IS matriculants to satisfy.
I was not aware of this. Good advice.

I agree with your general sentiment that it is best to turn secondaries in as quickly as possible. However, for those of us that did not pre-write, seems best to take the time to write high quality essays, even if it takes longer. See gyngyn's comments here:

do schools REALLY track secondary turnaround times?

I think that chances will be best with:

DMU (Submitted fully)
NYIT (Submitted fully)
NSUCOM (Submitted fully)

I think that chances will be best with:

DMU (Submitted fully)
NYIT (Submitted fully)
NSUCOM (Submitted fully)

So everything except both PCOM campuses, Touro-NY, Touro-CA, and OSU?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with your general sentiment that it is best to turn secondaries in as quickly as possible. However, for those of us that did not pre-write, seems best to take the time to write high quality essays, even if it takes longer. See gyngyn's comments here:

do schools REALLY track secondary turnaround times?

I understand. However, my DO letter writer keeps putting off my letter, and is holding my app up.

Which D.O. schools have strong in-state bias other than the ones you mentioned?

Which D.O. schools have strong in-state bias other than the ones you mentioned?

OSU, Ohio, TCOM, MSU are the true state programs.

PCOM-PA, Rowan, UNE-COM all have regional biases to some extent or another.

OSU, Ohio, TCOM, MSU are the true state programs.

PCOM-PA, Rowan, UNE-COM all have regional biases to some extent or another.
I thought private schools would have little to no in-state bias. I'm a little shocked and disappointed to find that 83% of NYITCOM's students are from NY..

I thought private schools would have little to no in-state bias. I'm a little shocked and disappointed to find that 83% of NYITCOM's students are from NY..

Remember that it isn't necessarily a bias, more of a product of NY having a lot of people applying to medical school who want to stay in NY. Same with Western and Touro CA. Most schools will inherently have a small bias.

even private schools in Texas have in state bias.

I just want to get into a school. I prefer Pacific Northwest, California schools, New York schools, Pennsylvania, or Florida.

How is it going with the schools, any updates?
Your stats are pretty good, by the way. It's always like that, those who have good chances worry more than those who doesn't have chances at all but trying.
I worried a lot too, but now I'm worried about studies even more. It's so complicated. Extra Resources I use to cope with writing tasks are the only help.
Wat8.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
How is it going with the schools, any updates?
Your stats are pretty good, by the way. It's always like that, those who have good chances worry more than those who doesn't have chances at all but trying.
I worried a lot too, but now I'm worried about studies even more. It's so complicated. Extra Resources I use to cope with writing tasks are the only help.

I'd appreciate not getting links to things I did not ask about in a difficult time like this.

Just got rejected from KCU-COMB today. Losing confidence, because this is the second rejection with no interview invite.

Just got rejected from KCU-COMB today. Losing confidence, because this is the second rejection with no interview invite.

Stay positive... don't lose the faith. All it takes is one.

Also... set yourself up to succeed. Try to think of ways that you can improve your application for the next cycle if things are cooking.

I second the advice to stay positive. For KCU, I believe your GPAs are below their cutoffs, so even though it sucks to be rejected, at least you know why & you know it's not something major that is wrong with your app and will affect other schools.

It's still early in the cycle and you applied to a good range of schools! I know it is hard, but try and keep your hopes up. I think you'll wind up successful :)

I second the advice to stay positive. For KCU, I believe your GPAs are below their cutoffs, so even though it sucks to be rejected, at least you know why & you know it's not something major that is wrong with your app and will affect other schools.

It's still early in the cycle and you applied to a good range of schools! I know it is hard, but try and keep your hopes up. I think you'll wind up successful :)

Thank you for those supporting words! Comments like those make me gain some confidence, and think positive!

Congratulations on your interview invites! :)

Our applications are similar. Get your ACOM and BCOM apps completed ASAP. They seem to be most receptive to folks in our situation (Lower GPA).

It's only the first week of September. Start worrying by January if you don't hear anything.
Our applications are similar. Get your ACOM and BCOM apps completed ASAP. They seem to be most receptive to folks in our situation (Lower GPA).

I completed those, already. ACOM gave me a completion 1.5 weeks ago, and I already finished BCOM. When did you complete these schools?

Calm down, you are going to get a lot more rejections than two.... all it takes is one.

It's only the first week of September. Start worrying by January if you don't hear anything.

This. Be patient

Reactions: 1 users
I completed those, already. ACOM gave me a completion 1.5 weeks ago, and I already finished BCOM. When did you complete these schools?

BCOM Timeline:
Primary Submitted 6/20
Secondary Submitted 7/8
Invited For Interview 8/3
Interviewed 8/21
Accepted 8/24

ACOM Timeline:
Primary Submitted 6/30
Secondary Submitted 7/6
Invited For Interview 8/23
Scheduled for 10/20.