What are my chances? NY Resident, 3.63 cGPA, 3.53 sGPA, MCAT: 506

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abdu1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I wanted to know what are my chances for MD schools. I am a NY resident and mainly interested in state schools.

2 Undergraduate Majors: The first is a science major and the second is a humanities major.

Graduated with 155 credits in 4 years.

Cumulative GPA: 3.62

Science GPA: 3.53

MCAT: 506. Section Breakdown: C/P: 126, CARS: 125, B/B: 128, P/S: 127.

Work and Activities (Clinical): ~120 hours of shadowing three different physicians with different specialties. ~250 hours of hospital volunteering in three different departments. ~50 hours of certified medical interpretation. Participated in SMDEP for a whole summer.

Work and Activities (Non-Clinical): ~80 hours of different volunteer work at New York Cares. ~200 hours of volunteering as a teacher assistant at a weekend language school. I mentored at-risk high school students and taught them how to conduct scientific research as part of a National Science Foundation-funded program.

Research: I conducted palynology lab research with my biology professor for three semesters (First author publication under review). I did urban ecology field research for an entire summer while mentoring the high school students mentioned above (First author poster presentation at 2 well-known annual research symposiums in NYC. Volunteered as a lab assistant at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center labs as a research assistant (no publications).

Is it advisable to submit my AMCAS application early (first day) and then update medical schools with a retaken MCAT score (possibly taken at the end of June and having scores come out at the end of July)? Thank you. I appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow that palynology research sounds pretty cool not to mention you also got a 1st author pub out of it. Should def make you stand out upon the sea of usual basic and clinical research most premeds like myself do. But alas there are other variables at play as well. Are you a URM by any chance? If you are, that MCAT just may slide for your IS programs

You could apply to all 4 SUNY's and your best chances are Upstate and Buffalo. Albany and NYMC are also possible. However, that is far too few schools with your stats so consider these also:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Creighton
Seton Hall (if it opens for 2018)
Let us know what your 2nd MCAT score is when available and you may be able to add more schools.