What are my chances of acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetTooth07

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: Plan to submit by first week of June
Overall GPA: 3.29
Science GPA: 3.55
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.38
DAT score: 21 PAT, 21 QR, 22 RC, 26 Bio, 20 GC, 22 OC, 22 TS, 22 AA
State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended: CSU Fullerton
Major: Public Health
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~180 with 2 different general dentists
Volunteering Experience: Mission Trips to Mexico (Dental Coordinator): 238 hours
Children's Hospital: 175 hours
Community Health Fair: 5 Hours
Boys and Girls Club: 160 hours
Employment: Retail: 2500 hours
Teacher Assistant: 1800 hours
Dental Assistant: 320 hours (current)

Research: Cadaver Lab: 224 hours
Other Extracurriculars: None
Relevant Honors or Awards: None
LOR type and strength: 1 Committee Letter, 1 dentist (strong), 2 science professors (strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: 2 F's in Math and English (retook and received A's in both); academic probation for dropping two classes that equaled half my units that semester; took some pre-reqs at a community college

School list:
Western University
University of Buffalo
Roseman
LECOM
UCONN
UoP
USC
UNLV
Rutgers
UCLA
NYU
Temple

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying this 2022-2023 cycle and was wondering if I have a chance of getting an interview and being accepted?

I have a 3.29 cGPA and 3.55 sGPA.
DAT: 21 PAT, 21 QR, 22 RC, 26 Bio, 20 GC, 22 OC, 22 TS, 22 AA

Shadowing: ~180 hours
Volunteering: 580 hours
I have some research experience in a cadaver lab and other work experience not dental related.

I am a non-traditional student and took some pre-reqs at a community college and I didn't take a full course load in majority of my semesters. Currently I work as a dental assistant which I started in December 2021. There are two things I feel would hold me back from being accepted anywhere. I was on academic probation my very first semester of undergrad because I dropped 2 classes that equaled half of my units. The second thing is I received 2 F's (math and English classes), but I retook them and received A's in both of them. Will those two things keep me from getting into dental school?
no

make sure you research CC credits for each dental school
apply broadly and wisely and EARLY...

Reactions: 1 users
I'm applying this 2022-2023 cycle and was wondering if I have a chance of getting an interview and being accepted?

I have some research experience in a cadaver lab and other work experience not dental related.

I am a non-traditional student and took some pre-reqs at a community college and I didn't take a full course load in majority of my semesters. Currently I work as a dental assistant which I started in December 2021. There are two things I feel would hold me back from being accepted anywhere. I was on academic probation my very first semester of undergrad because I dropped 2 classes that equaled half of my units. The second thing is I received 2 F's (math and English classes), but I retook them and received A's in both of them. Will those two things keep me from getting into dental school?
You DAT scores are very nice, 26 in Bio is excellent. Those scores show although you have some blemishes in the past you were able to pull yourself up and get things done. You will need to do some work and take the time to contact schools and explain your situation(if you are close to some schools you could go in person if they allow it) You want to apply where you have the best opportunity for acceptance. Make sure you have a strong personal statement, that is often the door opener to an interview.

Wishing you the best..Nancy

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You DAT scores are very nice, 26 in Bio is excellent. Those scores show although you have some blemishes in the past you were able to pull yourself up and get things done. You will need to do some work and take the time to contact schools and explain your situation(if you are close to some schools you could go in person if they allow it) You want to apply where you have the best opportunity for acceptance. Make sure you have a strong personal statement, that is often the door opener to an interview.

Wishing you the best..Nancy
Thank you for your response! Should I explain my situation in the AADSAS application or should I reach out to the schools after applying?

Feel free to formally complete a WAMC template in the WAMC thread. Your metrics look good, but your chances depend on other factors such as geography, which were not disclosed in this thread yet.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Why do you say you're a non-traditional student?

Also please edit your post following this template: ► TEMPLATE: How to Format your WAMC Thread ◄

Feel free to formally complete a WAMC template in the WAMC thread. Your metrics look good, but your chances depend on other factors such as geography, which were not disclosed in this thread yet.
thank you. I filled it out so hopefully that helps a little

Date of submission: Plan to submit by first week of June
Overall GPA: 3.29
Science GPA: 3.55
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.38
DAT score: 21 PAT, 21 QR, 22 RC, 26 Bio, 20 GC, 22 OC, 22 TS, 22 AA
State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended: CSU Fullerton
Major: Public Health
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~180 with 2 different general dentists
Volunteering Experience: Mission Trips to Mexico (Dental Coordinator): 238 hours
Children's Hospital: 175 hours
Community Health Fair: 5 Hours
Boys and Girls Club: 160 hours
Employment: Retail: 2500 hours
Teacher Assistant: 1800 hours
Dental Assistant: 320 hours (current)

Research: Cadaver Lab: 224 hours
Other Extracurriculars: None
Relevant Honors or Awards: None
LOR type and strength: 1 Committee Letter, 1 dentist (strong), 2 science professors (strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: 2 F's in Math and English (retook and received A's in both); academic probation for dropping two classes that equaled half my units that semester; took some pre-reqs at a community college

School list:
Western University
University of Buffalo
Roseman
LECOM
UCONN
UoP
USC
UNLV
Rutgers
UCLA
NYU
Temple
why nyu/buffalo/rutgers?
do you have a connection to the area?

make sure the schools you apply to accept CC credits for prereqs...

why nyu/buffalo/rutgers?
do you have a connection to the area?

make sure the schools you apply to accept CC credits for prereqs...
im applying to those schools because they accept CC credit and according to the ADEA Dental School Explorer, they have taken students from California. I don't have any connections to the area though. Are those schools not typically OOS friendly?

im applying to those schools because they accept CC credit and according to the ADEA Dental School Explorer, they have taken students from California. I don't have any connections to the area though. Are those schools not typically OOS friendly?
i don't know if they are OOS friendly or not
i was thinking the midwest schools are closer to CA than those schools

my opinion, you need to add more schools to ensure at least a few interview invites
your DAT is well above average, but your BCP and oGPA are below average...

i don't know if they are OOS friendly or not
i was thinking the midwest schools are closer to CA than those schools

my opinion, you need to add more schools to ensure at least a few interview invites
your DAT is well above average, but your BCP and oGPA are below average...
I was thinking my DAT scores would help a little because my cGPA is low but I hope its not too low where they won't look at my application.

I was thinking my DAT scores would help a little because my cGPA is low but I hope its not too low where they won't look at my application.
it's not too low that they won't look at your application

your reach schools are UCLA, UOP, and perhaps UConn
not too many for your list, though once again, i think you should apply to a few more in range and safety schools...

Consider the high cost of those schools as well