What are my chances of allopathic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
(This is doing a little projecting on my part. I'm assuming a C for my final semester taking biochem and my lowest practice MCAT, If I get an A in Biochem my sGPA would be more like 3.54ish, and if I score my highest practice, my MCAT would be 30)

But worse case scenario:
3.8 GPA
3.48 sGPA
28 MCAT
200+ hours clinical experience volunteering, direct patient contact
80 hours physician shadowing
Liberal arts major, science minor
100 hours community service
200+ hours of research with no publications (animal dissections, drug administration, running trials, etc.)
Applying very early (spring) but non-traditional, applying end of senior year
-Applying to at least 20 allopathic schools, no top schools (10 osteopathic)
-Unique hobbies.
-generic letters of recommendation from professors, better letters from doctors
-White, male applicant

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your ECs look very strong. Your sGPA is on the lower side, but it is still perfectly acceptable. However, you want to aim for a 32+ on the MCAT to compensate for the lower sGPA. When are you taking the exam, January?

Agree with above. The combination of low GPA and low MCAT will make it very difficult for an MD acceptance. You do have strong ECs. Have you taken all the AAMC practice exams? If you could score in the low 30s it would greatly help your chances. Also, you shouldn't be assuming a C in biochem.....adcoms will not like a downward trend with a C in a subject that you study immensely in med school. Study hard, get straight As these last two semesters (if that is still possible for the current semester) and don't take the MCAT until you feel confident you can score above a 30.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
^^ Plus, OP, thinking positively should help you IMO. I completely agree with DaMedDude, because I didnt take my MCAT retake until I was hitting consistent 29s, 30s and 31s and I ended up with a 30, due in part to my hard work, but also due in part to my confidence that I could score a 30. Hang in there, and btw, awesome avatar.

^^ Plus, OP, thinking positively should help you IMO. I completely agree with DaMedDude, because I didnt take my MCAT retake until I was hitting consistent 29s, 30s and 31s and I ended up with a 30, due in part to my hard work, but also due in part to my confidence that I could score a 30. Hang in there, and btw, awesome avatar.
I have maybe three solid weeks of hardcore studying before my MCAT in December. I would prefer to take it in January but there aren't any spots left.

I'm looking at a 12 verbal consistently(11 was my lowest), 7-8 physical, 8-9 bioscience.

If you think I can get physical up 1-2 points, and bio science up 1-2 points, then I might get a 30.

My study schedule after completing my last few midterms coming up will be:
11/19-11/21 7 AM - 10 PM study
11/23-11/26 7 AM - 10 PM study
11/28-12/3 7 AM - 10 PM study

I know I have the discipline to pull it off, and that's, in my head, like 195 extra hours of studying physical/bio/taking a couple more practice tests. Scheduled break "days" intermittently.

Last edited:
12 verbal is great because that is the hardest section to approve upon. Bio and physical can definitely be brought up from 3 more weeks of studying and taking exams. Good luck.

MCAT is beleow avg buit not lethal if you apply strategically. Start with your state school (unless you live in CA) and any of the low-tier schools, like Albany, NYMC, the Philly triplets, U VT, Penn state, VCU, and all new schools except Va Tech and Hoftsra.

(This is doing a little projecting on my part. I'm assuming a C for my final semester taking biochem and my lowest practice MCAT, If I get an A in Biochem my sGPA would be more like 3.54ish, and if I score my highest practice, my MCAT would be 30)

But worse case scenario:
3.8 GPA
3.48 sGPA
28 MCAT
200+ hours clinical experience volunteering, direct patient contact
80 hours physician shadowing
Liberal arts major, science minor
100 hours community service
200+ hours of research with no publications (animal dissections, drug administration, running trials, etc.)
Applying very early (spring) but non-traditional, applying end of senior year
-Applying to at least 20 allopathic schools, no top schools (10 osteopathic)
-Unique hobbies.
-generic letters of recommendation from professors, better letters from doctors
-White, male applicant