What are my chances of becoming a doctor with a BSN?

Iwilldietrying

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! :)

Here's my problem:
With University applications coming up, I'm unsure of which program to apply: Life Science or Nursing. At the moment, my ultimate goal is to get into a Canadian Medical School, as I'm not a fan of studying abroad. However, seeing as there's merely 17 Medical Schools in Canada...I realized that I need a back-up plan.

So, instead of taking the same route as my fellow pre-meds (half the freakin' class, hence why I need a back-up plan), and applying to the Life Science program, I'm leaning towards the Nursing program. I figured that, if I get rejected from Medical School enough times (5) and finally call it quits, I could try for Nurse Practitioner instead.

But, of course, none of my ideas are complete without a couple of concerns...:D

1. In terms of getting into Medical School, would I be at a disadvantage by having a degree in Nursing (BSN), as opposed to one in Life Science (BSc)?

2. Is it common for BSN holders to become doctors?

3. What other programs would you recommend I consider, aside from Nursing and Life Science?

Thanks in advance!
You're all amazing.

Members don't see this ad.

Nah. Don't become a nurse.

I don't want to become a nurse. I just need a back-up plan, in case I don't get into Medical School.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really want to go to Med school, don't give yourself a backup plan that would be possible to give you regret for the rest of your career - that you could have aspired to more seeing those doctors all day. Have some faith in yourself, and go for the Gold! Also, many of the nursing programs I've seen, even the ones that get you a BS, don't complete all of the pre-reqs for health-schools, so be careful. If you really want to get into Med school, you can - there are so many med schools in the US, you'd be able to get in eventually if you work hard enough! So don't worry - and to answer your question, be a major that you enjoy, otherwise you'll have 4 years of disliking school.

If you want a back up plan that's still health, think about Dental Hygiene! It's two years, great hours, and great pay and benefits.
Good luck!

Would you be happy as a nurse? Having a backup plan is fine, you just have to find it palatable. Have you considered A) Dentistry B) Allopathic Medicine in the US/Osteopathic medicine in the US (Check your provinces rules) C) Chiropody/Podiatry D) Chiropractic or E) Optometry as backup plans? These may be a better fit although they are very competitive, however the US schools are somewhat easier than Canadian schools.

Sorry, I should've been more specific.

I was trying to say that I don't want to stop at RN, because I want to take on more of a leadership role. So, if I don't get into Medical School, I'm going to try to build my way up to Nurse Practitioner, since their responsibilities are similar to that of a doctor.

I mean, there's nothing in the world I'd rather be than a doctor...but the closest career to it seems to be a nurse (setting, patient care, science-related, well-paying etc.), hence my back-up plan. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't be happy with any of my back-up plans. It's my last resort.

eh, pharmacy is always a good back up...

You're probably asking the wrong people, since the prejudice against nursing is present everywhere in medicine but is most pronounced amongst those who aren't doctors, but want to be.

In answer to your questions:

1) No, having a BSN will not, in and of itself, be a disadvantage once you are in medical school. You may have to work a little harder in the basic science portions, but no degree is going to teach you what you actually learn in medical school.

2) Earning a BSN and then immediately applying to medical school may raise some eyebrows, since why would you get a professional degree you never had any intention of using? However, I don't think this will be deal-breaker by any means.

3) If you tell the nursing program that you intend to apply to medical school, they will likely not want you.

4) Yes, it is relatively uncommon to see people with BSNs become physicians. The reasons for this are twofold: First, it is much easier to get into nursing school than medical school, and so most nurses would not be academically qualified to become physicians. Second, RNs make very good money, and the opportunity cost of giving up that career to pursue medicine is great, so most stick with the salary they have rather than pursuing something else.

Welcome back!

You're probably asking the wrong people, since the prejudice against nursing is present everywhere in medicine but is most pronounced amongst those who aren't doctors, but want to be.

In answer to your questions:

1) No, having a BSN will not, in and of itself, be a disadvantage once you are in medical school. You may have to work a little harder in the basic science portions, but no degree is going to teach you what you actually learn in medical school.

2) Earning a BSN and then immediately applying to medical school may raise some eyebrows, since why would you get a professional degree you never had any intention of using? However, I don't think this will be deal-breaker by any means.

3) If you tell the nursing program that you intend to apply to medical school, they will likely not want you.

4) Yes, it is relatively uncommon to see people with BSNs become physicians. The reasons for this are twofold: First, it is much easier to get into nursing school than medical school, and so most nurses would not be academically qualified to become physicians. Second, RNs make very good money, and the opportunity cost of giving up that career to pursue medicine is great, so most stick with the salary they have rather than pursuing something else.

I am currently persuing a BSN-RN degree, and I intend to be a rn for at least a few years. But i have also wanted to be a doctor for the longest time, after being a rn for a few years, what are the chances of me going back to med school
and also since an rn program doesnt cover most pre-reqs for med school, how does it look to get those pre-reqs either from another school or a community college??
--i feel as though working as a nurse will help expand my medical knowledge and help to expand my knowledge of different roles within the hospital which would help me with my medical schooll and also patient care itself is extremely important to me so i feel like the skills and qualities i would develop as a rn in quality patient care would in turn greatly help with my bedside manner.

A back up plan just gives you one more reason NOT to pursue medicine with all you got. Either go hardcore pre-med or go home. Good luck op

1.) Perhaps a slight disadvantage simply because nurses and doctors play distinct roles and you may come off as uncertain.

2.) Quite uncommon, although engineering majors oddly take up a considerable chunk of applicants.

3.) Consider applying to a DO school, they give significantly more weight to non-traditional applicants such as a nursing student than conventional allopathic (MD) schools.

A back up plan just gives you one more reason NOT to pursue medicine with all you got. Either go hardcore pre-med or go home. Good luck op

Not true. A back up plan is a good thing to have. A number of students will have at least a year between undergrad and med school. For example, some students need to apply more than once before they get accepted, and others may choose to take time off for other reasons (e.g. to start a family, travel, explore other careers, etc). It's good to have a marketable degree that you can fall back on during that time.

Not true. A back up plan is a good thing to have. A number of students will have at least a year between undergrad and med school. For example, some students need to apply more than once before they get accepted, and others may choose to take time off for other reasons (e.g. to start a family, travel, explore other careers, etc). It's good to have a marketable degree that you can fall back on during that time.
Who says you can't do research and whatnot with your "pre-med" degree that will enhance your application?

Don't pursue nursing.
If you want to become a doctor, put your heart and soul into it. Life will be easier that way. Don't look for other possibilities. Instead, look for ways to reach your ultimate goal. If you apply to enough med schools, one of them is bound to accept you. Especially if you are extremely determined.
Those who go into nursing generally want to be in that position/like it or don't wish to pursue the extensive schooling of a doctor.
Remember: determination+motivation=success ;) no
ifs.
One last note: do look into others degrees. Something you enjoy. Something you can fall back on THAT YOU LIKE for your ba/bs.

I agree with docwei. Don't be too concerned about whether you will or won't get in to med school. There's still so much time before that is even a possibility!

And even though if you looked on here you wouldn't believe it, most people that are decently smart and work hard GET IN to medical school! You already know that you're decently smart, so just work hard in underad and you will get in!