What are my chances of becoming a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AAB5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My dream is to become a physician, but I feel like my chances are slipping away. Unfortunately, I did not realize the severity and the weight that my undergraduate pre-med courses really hold when applying to medical school. My undergraduate gpa was a cumulative 3.5, but my science gpa is lacking. It's only a 2.9. One thing I have going for me is that my science grades are continuing to improve. I just had some bad grades along the way. My MCAT scores are not great either, but I definitely can improve that!

I've already graduated from college, so I'm considering doing a postbacc. Should I just take more science classes and focus on getting good grades? What should my science gpa be in order to be competitive? Like a 3.5?

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

My dream is to become a physician, but I feel like my chances are slipping away. Unfortunately, I did not realize the severity and the weight that my undergraduate pre-med courses really hold when applying to medical school. My undergraduate gpa was a cumulative 3.5, but my science gpa is lacking. It's only a 2.9. One thing I have going for me is that my science grades are continuing to improve. I just had some bad grades along the way. My MCAT scores are not great either, but I definitely can improve that!

I've already graduated from college, so I'm considering doing a postbacc. Should I just take more science classes and focus on getting good grades? What should my science gpa be in order to be competitive? Like a 3.5?

Any suggestions?

wait wait wait...you didn't realize the impact of grades? really? how did you think they were going to judge you? personality? talent? swim suit?

Ha, thanks for the sarcasm! I definitely would have rocked the swimsuit portion of the competition! ;)

My freshman year I was taking honors bio so I thought I'd be able to get a little respect for that(silly). And I guess in a way no I really didn't take them as seriously as I should have. I was too busy getting involved on campus, meeting new people, and not focusing on my grades.

My physics grades were not great either. And I'm not blaming the physics department at my school, but I am. We had horrible professors, they fired one right in the middle of the semester. Our physics department has been on probation for like the past 3 years for failing students. I was getting tutoring, going to office hours, etc. I still only managed to get a C. And this year there are new professors, new policies, and of course a large majority of the students are excelling!

Anyway, smarty pants do you have some advice?

wait wait wait...you didn't realize the impact of grades? really? how did you think they were going to judge you? personality? talent? swim suit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Any suggestions?

I'm in the same boat as you (although I knew I was in deep crap the moment I got my grades lol).

Good News: Yes you can still become a physician!
Bad News: Its going to be a looooong journey for US but if you really want it (like I do!) we'll see our dreams become reality.

Here's some option:

For MD:
1). It may be more beneficial for you to get a Masters (in Anatomy, Biomedicine, Physiology etc) or a SMP (special masters program) that is designed to get people into medical school.

2). retake MCAT shoot for 30+

3). Beef up ECs and Volunteer hours (shadow, mentor, whatever you can!!!!!)

For DO:
1). Just retake all Science course you got a C in (take 2 at a time to get As) at an accredited 4 yr university

2). Shadow a DO and get a strong LOR

3). retake MCAT shoot for 28+

That's should help you out, Good Luck !!!

Hi everyone,

Any suggestions?

If your MCAT isn't strong either then it sounds like you should do a post-bacc and work your butt off. There are schools that will take URM's with relatively poor GPA's but in many cases the GPA was offset by a decently strong MCAT. My science GPA was a 2.9 or 3.0 but I had a MCAT of 33 so I was still able to snag IV's at some pretty strong places - Duke, Emory, UCLA

I was in the same boat as you! My pre-reqs were ATROCIOUS! So after graduation, I did a self-post bac (I could not get into any formal programs, and I did not want to do a masters). I did not take my MCAT until after I finished the program.

I did very well in my post-bac but because of my grades my overall GPA was still low (because they average in retakes). My MCAT was average. However, I knew that my past was always going to be a hinderance and I did not want to apply to a DO school.

My saving grace was to apply to schools in in the Caribbean (although a very unpopular choice on SDN), and thats where I am now. Don't let your past discourage you.

I would highly suggest trying to get into a US school first, either by retaking your MCAT or doing a post-bac/SMP. If you do that and fail to get into a US, try looking overseas. Its going to take a lot of work and dedication, but if you want to be a doctor, you will do it!

If you have any more q's just send me a PM.