What are my chances of being accepted at the following Florida state schools? Seeking some much needed advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AJB97

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am pretty new to SDN and after many days of scrolling through various forums I have been able to gather some very useful information.
To start off with here are some of my basic stats:

Ethnicity: Haitian (born in Haiti raised in Miami)
Class Standing: Senior (graduate in December 2019)
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.6
Degree: Biology
MCAT: 512
EC:
  1. 300+ in psychology research lab
  2. Student athlete tutor (1 year)
  3. biology laboratory assistant (3 years)
  4. Teacher at summer program for low socioeconomic high school students (every summer since 2015)
  5. Learning Assistant (biology)
  6. Volunteer at homeless shelter (1 year)
  7. Volunteer at women's clinic ( 1 year)
  8. Volunteer at shelter for homeless and diadvantaged women (1 year)
  9. Shadowing (300+)
  10. Volunteering at hospital (300+)
The schools I plan on applying to are the following:

1. UF
  2. UM
  3. FIU
  4. FSU
  5. FAU
  6. USF
  7. NOVA
  8. Howard
  9. Morehouse
  10. Meharry
  11. Duke (reach)
  12. Johns Hopkins (reach)
  13. Loyola
Are the schools on my list reasonable with the stats that I have? Should I take a gap year to gain more clinical experience and volunteer? Please any advice is welcomed I would really love to hear what everybody has to say. Thank you in advance!!

Also any additional schools I should consider are welcomed!!!!!!

Edit:
One huge blemish on my transcript is that I have 6 dropped classes all within junior year. It was my worst year academically and personally (I ended with a 2.5 GPA, that year I earned my first C's one in Orgo 1 and one in calculus 2.
1 of my dropped classes was dropped twice (ecology lab) and the others were lectures+associated lab. With this setback how can I be able to explain all of my dropped courses. Will this decrease my chances of matriculating and how likely are the interviewers to bring this up? This is the biggest part of my transcript that I am worried about.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Add Central Florida. You could also add these schools:
Boston University
Einstein
Hofstra
Mount Sinai
Georgetown
Tulane
St. Louis
UCLA Drew
You are fine to apply in June.

Members don't see this ad :)
Add Central Florida. You could also add these schools:
Boston University
Einstein
Hofstra
Mount Sinai
Georgetown
Tulane
St. Louis
UCLA Drew
You are fine to apply in June.

Thank you soo much for the input, I really appreciate it!
And in your opinion what do you think my biggest reach school should be? I have in mind Duke and Johns Hopkins but I believe Hopkins is very research heavy and at the moment I do not have much.

It seems you have a very solid application. Good luck and please let us know how your cycle goes.

Thank you, much appreciated! And yes I will be sure to provide updates on my process!!

Chances of getting accepted are 100% on you. Chances of getting interviews are very high, for all the schools mentioned in this thread.

Thank you very much!