What are my chances of being accepted? Recommended school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Huo

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am planning on applying this upcoming cycle. I took my first MCAT in May 2022 and got a 500 (128, 121, 127, 124). I then retook it in Sep of the same year and got 507 (130, 121, 129, 127). I was satisfied with my score except for the CARS section :( I did not improve on CARS at all. I was wondering what my chances are in getting accepted into MD programs? Do most schools have MCAT subsection screen? I’m not planning on retaking the MCAT since I’m not confident enough to do better on the CARS AND maintain my other subsection scores. I just hope med schools can be more lenient on me as a non-native speaker 😫 Below are some more info about me… Any suggestion is much appreciated :)

- Born and raised in Taiwan until my family and I immigrated to the US when I was in high school
- Native language is Traditional Chinese. Fluent in English
- Senior at UW majoring in B.S. MCD Biology and B.A. Biochemistry
- 3.85 cGPA, not sure about my sGPA (how would you calculate it?)
- Solid LoRs (4 STEM professors, 1 surgeon I shadowed, 1 RN I volunteered with, 1 from research lab PI)

ECs:
- volunteer at hospital: ~350 hours
- research: ~600 hours, maybe more (did research in 2 labs over several summers back in Taiwan, made a poster)
- General officer at school’s club (TSA). Director of several cultural events hosted by the club.
- shadowing: ~140 hours (ENT, General Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery, Anesthesiology, and Colorectal Surgery)
- Volunteer as a English Tutor for students back in Taiwan: ~64 hours
- Peer Facilitator for a BIOL course at my institution: 1 quarter

I’m also looking for suggestions on schools that I should apply to. I have no budget, so I plan to apply to as many as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Your non-clinical experiences are lacking completely for DO schools as well, and you’ll be screened out for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have no community service in the US, and you serve people similar to you. You need to stretch beyond your comfort zone to other communities. Immerse yourself with being uncomfortable but present with those who are in real need outside of just their health.

You may have a narrow path to MD if and only if you have a strong record serving their regional communities where you have a strong mission fit. But without strong community service, we cannot make a favorable argument for your file. West Coast, New England, and Chicago schools may be ideal for their larger Asian immigrant and NNES population. But to maximize your list, you need more experience especially with Rural communities.

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately, Washington State (Floyd) is very mission-focused and UW has competition for the IS, non-WWAMI spots.

I suggest DO only:

PNWU
Western (Northwest)
KCU
PCOM
LECOM
DMU
Marian
Touro NV
Touro CA
NYIT
Touro NY
Campbell
KCOM

You need at least 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering and at least some community service otherwise these DO schools will screen you out because not only do you not have any primary care shadowing (all of your shadowing is in specialized care), you also don't have any mission-fit for the DO philosophy. You should focus on getting some non-clinical volunteering done and some primary care shadowing done before you even apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, Washington State (Floyd) is very mission-focused and UW has competition for the IS, non-WWAMI spots.

I suggest DO only:

PNWU
Western (Northwest)
KCU
PCOM
LECOM
DMU
Marian
Touro NV
Touro CA
NYIT
Touro NY