Grkpalikaras

10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
Status
I have a 2.94 GPA, I volunteer at a hospital (4 yrs. so far), and I moved in the USA from Greece when i was 11 years old. I will be taking the MCAT next month in April and in May i will be applying to MD schools. I will apply to just about all of them in the USA so i can have a better chance of geting in. Judging from what you know about me do you think there is any chance that MD schools in the USA will even give me a shot at an interview? :confused:

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The GPA will really limit your options. You will have to do very well on the MCAT, and even if that happens, it will still be tough. Is there any way you could do a post-bacc or something?

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
Grkpalikaras said:
I have a 2.94 GPA, I volunteer at a hospital (4 yrs. so far), and I moved in the USA from Greece when i was 11 years old. I will be taking the MCAT next month in April and in May i will be applying to MD schools. I will apply to just about all of them in the USA so i can have a better chance of geting in. Judging from what you know about me do you think there is any chance that MD schools in the USA will even give me a shot at an interview? :confused:
No. GPA under 3.0.

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would say that the OPs chance are poor unless he kicks butt on the MCAT and even then, the sub 3.0 GPA will hurt. I mean I have a 3.4/30 and I have yet to be invited to an interview, of course I took the MCAT in August.

To the OP, I think you would be wasting money if you applied this year. You did you get your GPA? Did you improve as you progressed in college? Or have a bad semester or two because of personal reasons? Those are not so bad as if you just didn't do well the whole time.

I think you should do a post-bacc program. Again, some of these will cut off at 3.0 too, but some don't. You need to show that you can get excellent grades. That's what I'm going to be doing next year (unless a miracle happens and I manage to get in this year).

OP, if you do apply, this year or the next, I would not simply apply to every school in the U.S. because that would just be a waste of money. Of course, if you have tons of money, go nuts! And also donate a building to a school, they really like that. :thumbup:

Buy the MSAR book and read it carefully to get an idea of which schools you should apply to because even if you apply to every Ivy league, they will all probably reject you.

M

mynameistino

2.9 is kind of low. but there are some stories on people who made in to med school with 2.9 or even LOWER. but their ECs are really dramatic and they worked really hard on clinical experiences, etc. Goodluck

GreatDoc222

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
Status
U can apply to allo schools...but i wouldn't bank on anything. Honestly below a 3 makes it even hard to get into DO schools, even from a reputable undergrad. Unless u rape the MCAT, u'll have an uphill battle. Though most here never seem to give up on medschool hopes, u may also want to look into Nurse Practitioner school (there are 3yr programs) and Physician Assistant school (2yrs). After you finish either of those programs, you essentially are a primary care physician and would make decent money (can be even more than some docs if you want to specialize - which u can).

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Grkpalikaras said:
If you are going to apply to all medical schools (does that also include DO as well?) you are extremely wealthy. Trollishly wealthy... Why not use some of that money for a one or two year postbac or SMP to rehabilitate your GPA -- a few more A's will give you above a 3.0. Then if you can get a great MCAT score you will maybe have a shot. Not sure you can apply in "May", though, at any rate.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
Grkpalikaras said:
If you really want to increase your chances of getting into an allopathic school (or even an osteopathic), I would consider doing a post-bacc program. is there a specific reason for the GPA or just cuz?

Acherona

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Columbia22 said:
seems like you'll be moving back to Greece
Actually, getting into med school in Greece is probably harder. It's based on one test. It's free though.

Palikari, don't bother unless you get your GPA up.

OP
G

Grkpalikaras

10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
Status
GreatDoc222 said:
U can apply to allo schools...but i wouldn't bank on anything. Honestly below a 3 makes it even hard to get into DO schools, even from a reputable undergrad. Unless u rape the MCAT, u'll have an uphill battle. Though most here never seem to give up on medschool hopes, u may also want to look into Nurse Practitioner school (there are 3yr programs) and Physician Assistant school (2yrs). After you finish either of those programs, you essentially are a primary care physician and would make decent money (can be even more than some docs if you want to specialize - which u can).
I am really interested at this Nurse Practitioner and Physician Assistant School that you mentioned. I didn't know that they can practice as primary care physicians...There must be some type of downside to this other than salary...Are there any negetives? Also Where do you apply in order to become a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant?? Thanks.

ForbiddenComma

Tanned for Bowling
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Seems like you guys are the ones being trollish here to our Greek friend.

When I posted my own stats (2.7 cum/36T MCAT) all the naysayers laughed me out of the room. "Nope, sorry" and "Have you considered Caribbean schools?" were the two usual replies.

I got my acceptance letter, yes from an American MD school, last Saturday. :D

My science GPA was competitive though.. How is yours, Grkpalikaras? I highly recommend taking post-bacc classes and if you show an upward trend there, get good sci grades, and destroy the MCAT, then you can get some admissions boards to overlook your cum GPA. Not all of course, but some will. Your clinical experience is a big help as well, if you actually help out doctors and nurses as opposed to mere candystriping. Have you tried volunteering at the ER?

Just hang in there. Low GPAs will close some doors with med schools, but not all of them.

criminallyinane

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Status
OSUdoc08 said:
No. GPA under 3.0.
That in itself is not prohibitive. We have people on the board who got in to allopathic schools with sub-3.0s. However, they had taken time off to improve their application.

Columbia22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2003
Long Island, NY
Visit site
Status
Grkpalikaras said:
I am really interested at this Nurse Practitioner and Physician Assistant School that you mentioned. I didn't know that they can practice as primary care physicians...There must be some type of downside to this other than salary...Are there any negetives? Also Where do you apply in order to become a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant?? Thanks.

With grammar and syntax like this, a 36T is a long long stretch...so now once again, who is the real troll here?

YzIa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
Status
Grkpalikaras said:
Plus NPs and PAs do not practice as primary care physicians. They practice similar to PC physicians, but are not equal. I don't know you you misstated what you meant of if you are somewhat confused.

Pay, responsibitly, and prestige if thats important are all very different for these positions.

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
OP I think you're a prime candidate for a post-bacc program......no matter how well you do on the MCAT, you will need to raise your GPA....good luck!!

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
Homer Doughnuts said:
Whatever dude, read the MSAR :mad:
Let's be practical, Homer. If one's GPA is below 3.0, a backup plan needs to be ready. The likelihood of acceptance is minimal, even with an exceptional MCAT.

sweetpeamd09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
Status
While I wouldn't say all hope is lost b/c as we all know the adcoms are the gods who decide our faith based on what sometimes seems little rhyme or reason... OP, you might want to give this some serious thought. I don't mean in any way to rain on your parade, it is awesome that you want to be a doctor. But, think about whether or not you really struggled with classes b/c medical school will be an entirely different monster. From personal experiences with my friend's applications, low GPAs can seriously hinder your application. Honestly, even with a stellar MCAT score (like a 38 or something) it's not looking too rosy. If the situation was reversed, if you like me, had a competitive GPA but low MCAT score I would say there is more hope. I firmly believe that schools are less inclined to base their opinion of you on a one day 8 hour tortuous exam. If you were struggling with your classes, think if you can survive the MCAT? To even the most studious students and greatest test-takers, the MCAT can seriously kick some @$$. If you love science and want to help people and have given a lot of thought to this--and you decide not to pursue medicine all hope is not lost b/c ,as posted above, there are PAs and NPs that make similar contributions to patient care. They however do not have the same qualities as being a physician as I'm sure you can gather. Look these positions up online if you choose... best of luck to you. :luck: