What are my chances of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenna1999

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a biology major, sophomore, GPA 3.4 currently.
My gpa before I apply may be around a 3.5.

I just started working as an ER medical scribe. I've been involved in volunteering, research projects, have held a steady job, and I'm going on a shadowing trip to Spain this summer.
I have already started studying for the MCAT. When I research online about my gpa only about 40% or less applicants are accepted. Is this true? Is a 3.4-3.5 a horrible GPA for medical school? I plan to only apply to schools that accept applicants in my range. If I score very well on the MCAT with a 3.5 is it still possible? I know there are so many factors that contribute to a successful applicant but my question is whether my GPA alone will sink my chances.

My questions:
Should I apply to more D.O schools instead of M.D?
Is my gpa hopeless?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your science GPA?

If you can get both your cumulative and science GPAs above a 3.5 and do extremely well on the MCAT, you will likely receive some interviews at MD schools, especially if you live in a state that has several state schools. You seem to have a good application despite a low GPA. Try and do as well as you can on the MCAT. If you don't do that well, you will still probably get into DO schools as the MCAT averages for DO schools aren't very high.

Reactions: 1 user
What is your science GPA?

If you can get both your cumulative and science GPAs above a 3.5 and do extremely well on the MCAT, you will likely receive some interviews at MD schools, especially if you live in a state that has several state schools. You seem to have a good application despite a low GPA. Try and do as well as you can on the MCAT. If you don't do that well, you will still probably get into DO schools as the MCAT averages for DO schools aren't very high.

My science GPA currently is a 3.39 and I can raise it to a 3.45-3.5 or slightly above.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to get it above 3.5 and crush the MCAT. I think you'll be set for a good bunch of MD schools if you really destroy the MCAT. If things don't work out as well as you would have liked, I am positive you will at least get into DO schools as long as you get around their MCAT averages. But with a decent application, you should really focus all of your energy into the MCAT and smash it so you can get into an MD school and keep options open for the future.

I had a 3.39 sGPA when I applied my first year. The year after that I applied with a 3.45 sGPA and fixed some things in my application ultimately leading to an acceptance. I think that if you were to get a 510 or better, you might have a shot at MD schools, but for DO your GPA is fine as long as your MCAT is greater than 500. Some students get accepted with lower MCAT's, but that's not the norm and you don't want to fall into that category because it'll drive you nuts.

Study well for the MCAT, at least 3 months consistently. I had 3.4 GPA, 510 MCAT and accepted to a good DO school, waitlisted at two MD's.

Reactions: 2 users