What are my chances of getting in ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalstu02

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

2 things:

DAT scores can make a big difference. So it's tough to reayy say without them

You might want to seriously consider doing a post-bacc or masters program.

Your GPA is a little low so it won't help but it shouldn't absolutely preclude you from acceptance. But a 3.8+ in grad classes will look great. Check out the Stats page to get an idea of where people with comparable stats applied and got in. Good Luck.

Hey dental-

I'm in a similar predicament. My overall GPA is 3.28 and science is 3.05. However, it does seem that you are on the right track. Make sure that you do well on the DAT and you should not have any problems getting into dental schools. As far as which schools, I would suggest that you find out information about each. Then make your decision. Anyone's suggestion (including mine) would be purely subjective.
By the way, I am doing dental materials research too. Many of the papers on my topic has come from UofM written by Richard Laine. Do you know him? I'm just curious.

Anyway good luck!

Arby

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll add that your experience with dental research and assisting will look very good and may help make up for your GPA. Rock the DAT and I think you'll have a good shot.

Good Luck!

Thank You all for the helpful responses:)
agutier3: I worked with Dr. WJ O'Brien (Biomaterials)at the Dental school. I am not sure however of any Richard Laine. Sorry.
I also wanted to find out from anyone that knows about how much the undergraduate school attended factors into admissions. For example, will dental schools look at both a student from a top 30 school with a lower gpa and a student from a lower tier school with a higher gpa as the same? It makes sense, but I have never heard anything about it.. thanks!

My stats are similar to yours. I know that when I interviewed at Columbia, the interviewer asked about the difficulty of the program at my school since I went to a state school she wasn't familiar with. She said she would mention that to the committee. I did get accepted there.

My advice to everyone applying this year: buy the Admission Requirements book from ADEA! It will allow you to "maximize" your chances by looking at each school's DAT/GPA/residency statistics.

Whether dental schools account for the difficulty of the undergrad attended is still up in the air. My guess is that with few exceptions the answer is no. Those exceptions would be when the school is unfamiliar with your school as Pakgirl said or maybe a few well know ivy league schools. If you want my opinion on UofM specifically, albeit a terrific school, I'd guess admissions committees won't "recalculate" your GPA.

I do however, think the rigor of course is looked at if that helps any. And remember your DAT is the final leveling factor and will allow you to prove yourself despite a difficult undergrad. Good luck.

Both of your responses were very helpful, thank you.
Pakgirl: Would you mind telling me your statistics? I actually have the adea admissions statistics 40th edition. That is quite impressive that you got into Columbia...I actually was not planning on applying there because of my grades, I was looking into nyu instead because i thought i had a better chance there. Thanks for the help...
Also, does anyone have similar gpa ranges that have gotten in to dental schools last year?? It seems like the statistics page is mainly people with really high gpas...just curious...thanks again...

if you go back to 2000/2001 posts (pages 35-53) you will notice a bunch of posts from folks who have gotten in dental schools with gpa range around yours. also an improving trend is always good and I am sure the schools will look at it as an additional factor. best of luck.

d3nt1st: what's up with you inane post? :oops:

Check out the Stats page to get an idea of where people with comparable stats applied and got in. Good Luck.
I have searched for the stats page but am unable to find it. Can anyone please post a link to it. Thanks.