What are my chances of getting into a top 50 NIH Funded Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pricefield

Reaction score
Hello all,

First of all: Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reply to my thread.

The reason why I want to get into a top 50 NIH funded school is because graduates from these schools in particular have an increase in matches into a Dermatology residency, which is the field I'm most interested in pursuing. Any tips in matching into Derm that I can take action in right now will also be very appreciated :)

Among the top 50 list, some colleges I am most interested in going to are Einstein, NYU, Icahn, Memorial Sloan Kettering (I currently reside in NYC)

My cGPA is 3.567, sGPA is 3.520, MCAT pending.

My extracurricular activities are as follows:
Volunteer companion at a local hospital ~300 hours
Member of the Campus Activities Board for 1 year (Involved in planning events for the student body i.e. Halloween Parties, Masquerade Ball etc.)
Member of the Intramural Activities Board for 3 months (Involved in planning sports related events for the student body)
Research in Biochemistry (~600 hours), ultimately leading to a Poster which was presented at the Undergraduate Research Conference at my college. Publication pending.
Tutored my neighbor in Algebra (~100 hours)

Some notes about my application:

- I graduated from a community college (City University of New York - The College of Staten Island)
- I took a year off of school because my dad had a stroke right after I graduated which resulted in me having to take care of him as no one else was able to.
- My GPA has a significant rising curve (All thanks to my mentor who changed my entire life). Started off as a 3.0-ish student (with a 2.8gpa being my worst semester), ended as a 3.8-ish student with 4.0 GPA my last two semesters.

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on your MCAT. You could be anywhere from fine to SOL depending on your performance. Your GPA is on the lower side of things. If you can get a nice MCAT >515, your chances at top 50 schools will be drastically improved.

It's silly to gun for such a competitive field when you aren't even in med school yet. Memorial Sloan Kettering isn't a med school. If you want to increase your chances for derm, try to do productive research in the field and show your interest early on.

Reactions: 1 user
It all depends on your MCAT. You could be anywhere from fine to SOL depending on your performance. Your GPA is on the lower side of things. If you can get a nice MCAT >515, your chances at top 50 schools will be drastically improved.

It's silly to gun for such a competitive field when you aren't even in med school yet. Memorial Sloan Kettering isn't a med school. If you want to increase your chances for derm, try to do productive research in the field and show your interest early on.

Very insightful. Thank you so much for the feedback :)

Yeah I thought MSK was a Med School for whatever reason, that was my mistake haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Very insightful. Thank you so much for the feedback :)

Yeah I thought MSK was a Med School for whatever reason, that was my mistake haha

Cornell's medical school has a strong relationship with MSK.

Your upward trend is strong. If you're really going for top schools you probably need a 517+, preferably a 520+, but that's for top 20s.