What are my chances of getting into anesthesiology with my step score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twospadz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 227 on step 1. How hard will it be for me to match into anesthesiology?

Members don't see this ad.

If US MD, no red flags, and willing to go anywhere for residency, then no problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
230 is average so the majority of programs will view this as an acceptable score.

If by majority you mean the bottom 1/2 of programs then I agree. Matching into a solid upper 1/3 tier program is very difficult with a Step 1 of 227 without a STEP 2 over 240.

Step 1- Important

Step2- Important

A lot of posters don't realize that a marginal Step 1 score combined with a Step 2 over 240 means you are still in the game for most programs.

If by majority you mean the bottom 1/2 of programs then I agree. Matching into a solid upper 1/3 tier program is very difficult with a Step 1 of 227 without a STEP 2 over 240.

Step 1- Important

Step2- Important

A lot of posters don't realize that a marginal Step 1 score combined with a Step 2 over 240 means you are still in the game for most programs.

Thats not how math works. BTW 240 on step 2 is about average these days. So youre saying that if he scores about average on both exams thats somehow better? Does not make sense.

Thats not how math works. BTW 240 on step 2 is about average these days. So youre saying that if he scores about average on both exams thats somehow better? Does not make sense.
Average of 240 w/ SD of 18 was stated on my step 2 ck score report last week.

You are correct in that "average" isn't overly impressive and a top 20-25 program is still a leap for those Med Students. Anesthesiology isn't a difficult match these days; so, as long as the student applies broadly including many mid tier programs I expect he/she will match into the specialty.

A resident with average Step scores can and should become an excellent Anesthesiologist easily capable of passing the Board exams. The key is finding a program which provides good didactics along with a well-rounded clinical experience.